Chapter 9: That stranger...

As I finished putting the last item into my basket, I looked up to be met by my best friend's eyes. She quickly reached her hand out to grasp mine and pulled me up.

"I didn't know you were coming to THIS convenience store to buy the snacks," she told me snickering slightly as she pulled me fully to my feet.

"Yeah, I didn't either," I laughed.

She gave me this "what do you mean you didn't know" look as I sent back a "this was the closest convenience store" look. We both laughed it off as our gazes towards each other softened. As I continued to stroll down the rest of the snack aisle looking for my desired snack, we both expressed our excitement for the picnic.

As we walked to the cash register, my best friend gave me a soft, worried look. I couldn't help but notice and send one back.

"What's wrong? Why are you making that face? Did I miss your favorite snack or something?" I said with a slight smile.

"No, it's not that" she giggled a bit.

"I need to talk to you. This has been on my mind for a while actually".

I nodded, agreeing to listen to whatever she had to say. I could feel the air between us tense up right away. Her saying this, could mean a million different things and possibly end in a thousand tears being shed. Though, once I paid for all the groceries, the air between us lightened up as she grabbed one of the bags I was holding from my hand. We exited the convenience store and began our walk towards the park right after.

"Soooooo.... This thing, is it something super serious?" I asked subtly.

"Well, I wouldn't say super serious. And don't go thinking for a SECOND that I'm putting an end to this friendship. Cause that ain't happening for a million years and more". She answered

"Thank goodness that possibility is eliminated" I silently sweat and thought to myself.

"The thing I wanted to tell you, but more specifically ask you about, was that stranger who left flowers on your doorstep." I stopped dead in my tracks. My heart skipped a beat. I hadn't thought about them for almost a whole day, and now I was forced to be reminded about him.

"Oh, them... That's right haha" I laughed awkwardly.

"I understand if talking about it is a touchy subject to you, but I can't help but wonder why you have so much faith in a stranger. I've always been here for you, and yet I've never seen a bigger, goofier smile invade your face when you come to school in the mornings," she explained.

"Well, umm... I actually can't say I have an answer to that." I answered, staring down at my shoes.

We both stayed silent for a moment.

"BUT of course, that's completely ok. I'm just super worried about you y/n that's all. I don't want this person to take you away from me. More importantly, take you away.... Forever.."

Her words seemed to resonate. I couldn't believe that my best friend, someone who seemed to have a billion other friends, was so vulnerable when it came to our friendship.

"Awww. You're too cute. Listen, I promise I will be as safe as possible. Even if I find out who this person is, you will be the number one person I call when I'm in distress. You will forever be my best friend, just like I've been yours" I told her, hugging her close.

"So please don't worry. For now, let's go enjoy a delicious picnic and a lovely afternoon out with our friends. What do you say?" I asked her, reaching out my arm so we could link them together.

"Of course" she gave a soft smile and linked onto my arm tight. We walked arm in arm for the rest of the walk to the park. I didn't want to think about IK all afternoon, but now, it couldn't be helped.