Soulmate AU (Snaibsel)

Artemis hated the words on her right arm. 'Or create peace on Earth for all time?' Jade made fun of her for them all the time. Her father told her it made her weak. She didn't understand what was wrong with peace but she did understand what her parents did. After her mom went to prison, her dad was worse about everything. Then Jade left, leaving her with him. Her favorite weapon of choice was archery because the arm bracers covered her words.

It was better after her mom got out of jail and her dad left. Her mom had reformed on the inside and wanted better for her daughters. She was distraught when she'd learned that Jade had left, but Artemis was happy that her mom was home.

Artemis decided that maybe peace on Earth was a good thing and set out to try to help make that happen. After Batman and Green Arrow confronted her and her mother about her trying to help, she joined the Team and became Green Arrow's "protégé".

"So what's your soulmate line?" M'gann asked one day.

"I don't like showing people. Do Martians have soulmates?" Artemis asked in response.

"Of course, silly. We don't have words like humans do though since most of our communication is telepathic."

"What do you guys have then?"

"It's like a psychic imprint. We don't know anything about them until we meet. Then we just know that that's the one for us. I always loved that humans knew something about their other half before meeting them."

"I don't know, sometimes they're a burden." Artemis shrugged.

"Can I tell you a secret?" M'gann whispered.

"Sure?"

"I used to shape shift to have different soulmate lines and pretend they were real."

"That sounds like you." Artemis laughed.

"So, what's your soulmate line? Please show me?" M'gann begged.

Artemis rolled her eyes and rolled up the sleeve of her jacket. "It's dorky."

"I don't think it's dorky." M'gann smiled at her while she quickly covered it back up.

"Just don't tell the others. I don't want them knowing."

"Your secret is safe with me." M'gann gave her another smile.

A couple weeks later Zatara stopped by with his daughter. Artemis didn't think anything of her besides liking how sassy and sarcastic she was. At least until after they 'met' with Ivo in their search for Red Tornado.

"Why? Be as chalant as you like." Zatanna said, giving Robin a smile.

"I think we're all just trying to get a handle on your powers. Could you teleport us to Tornado, or Morrow to a cell, or force his bots to surrender?" Artemis asked, impatient with Robin.

"Or create peace on Earth for all time? Zatara couldn't even do all that and I'm nowhere near on my dad's level." Zatanna kept talking about Artemis had stopped listening. She covered her bracer with her hand subtly, hoping M'gann would keep her mouth shut.

Conner and Kaldur were both talking, something about weapons? Artemis didn't know, what she did know was that she needed to talk to Zatanna alone, find out if what she thought was true. She didn't get the chance until after their fight with the Reds.

"Umm.. Zatanna, can we talk?" Artemis asked while Robin worked on getting Red Tornado speaking again.

"Of course." Zatanna moved off to the side away from the group with Artemis.

"So.. umm.. What you said earlier, in the bioship.." Artemis started before sighing and pulling off her right bracer to show Zatanna the words she hid there. "Am I crazy?"

"You're not crazy." Zatanna shook her head. "Laever ym sdrow." She whispered, showing her left arm to Artemis where 'I think we're all just trying to get a handle on your powers' was written.

"When you didn't say anything right away, I was sure I was wrong." Artemis said, not looking at Zatanna and slowly putting her bracer back on.

"I didn't think you'd want a big scene, I may have just met you but I can tell that about you. So I figured I'd just answer you and talk to you later about it." Zatanna said before whispering, "Edih ym sdrow"

"Why do you hide them?" Artemis asked.

"Can't let everyone know I have powers." Zatanna laughed. "My dad used to cover them up for me until I was able to do the spell myself. It's a small one that I can keep up for most of the day without tiring too much. If I convince him to let me join the Team, I'll have to wear sleeves though. That battle was hard since I don't have the same training as you guys and I was keeping this one up as well."

"Well, umm.. Since we're soulmates," Artemis felt her cheeks heat up in a blush, "do you want to go on a date or something?"

"I'd like that." Zatanna gave her a small smile.

"Hey guys, I've nearly got it, come here!" Robin called.

"Coming!" Zatanna called back. "Let's go." She said, grabbing Artemis by the hand and leading her back to the group. 

AN: I'll be starting a Danny Phantom/Batman/Young Justice crossover fic for Camp Nanowrimo in July so if you're interested, look out for that on AO3 as it won't be posted here. I'm aconglish on there.