Chapter 9

(1634 words)
After a thirty minute drive they steered off of the main roads and began to drive through the forest. The car jolted and turned with every rock and twig they rolled over. Every time she tried to speak he would hold up his finger telling her to hush. Suddenly the car made stopped in the middle of the forest with a huge jolt.

They both sat in the car shifting uncomfortably in their seats in an awkward silence. The sound of the fabric shifting against his old suede seat and Enyo occasionally tapping rhythmically on her board only made it worse. He groaned and slammed his head against the top of his steering wheel. Enyo shifted again to face him.

Throughout entire ride anxious thoughts racing through her head. What if he was going to kill her? I mean he wasn't a bodybuilder but he sure as hell wasn't skinny. Could he over power her? In an anxious rush she turned her body to face him.

"Look Silas, this is getting out of hand. I already sent my location to my mom and-," She said in a stern voice but she was cut off by a sigh. He turned his cheek to face her and stared deep into her eyes.

"Enyo."

"Yeah?"

"Do you trust me?" he said not breaking eye contact. She let out a grunt and slouch in the rough suede seats. Tilting her head back she placed in between the headrest and the cold window. Looking down he looked genuine but this situation was too scary. Even though they were close he was still a grown man. She had to make a decision on which way this conversation was going and fast. She sighed and lowly laughed.

"I mean yeah but right now you are giving me major weird vibes," she smiled "didn't you say you needed to show me something or did you just wanna murder me in the woods?"

He laughed and pushed himself up straight.

"You're right, let's get outta this rust bucket," He said opening the car door but before he hopped out he grabbed an on old folded piece of paper from the small mirror on the driver's side.

They stood at the front of car where Enyo could more clearly see her surroundings. This was way deep into the forest, farther than she had ever gone when she went for runs. There was a large round clearing sitting right in front of them where there was a shed sat. Calling it a shed was generous though, it was more like a pile a firewood with a door. A pond sat right behind it but only stretched so far that you could see the corners of it from in front of the shed. The trees were so tall that she couldn't tell where the trees stopped and the darkness of the sky started. The fresh smell of the pine trees and grass calmed Enyo's nerves but not enough to stop her constant fidgeting. Mr.Cowal nervously cleared his throat calling her attention over to him again.
He tracked his fingers over the corners of the small paper he was holding.

"Umm here," he handed her the paper "this is a good start."

Enyo took the paper that turned out to be a small folded up picture. It way of her when she was only seven or eight. A bandage under her eye where she now had the scar. Though the picture was faded she could clearly see it was summer from her tan plus her light blue and white striped tank top and khaki shorts. She was sitting on the guard railing that prevented people from dropping into the water that sat behind her. She gave the camera a smile so big her eyes closed showing off her chipped tooth.

A wave of emotion washed over her, She was happy to see a picture of herself because she didn't have many at that age but why did he have it? Was he some sort of stalker? How did he get this picture? She didn't even have this.

"Dude what the fuck," she said in disgruntled voice "How do you have this? What are you? Some sort of stalker?"

His face went from panic to disgust. He snatched the picture out of her hand.