Chapter 24: ℬ𝑒𝓇𝓂𝓊𝒹𝒶 𝒾𝓈 ℬ𝑒𝒶𝓊𝓉𝒾𝒻𝓊𝓁 𝒯𝒽𝒾𝓈 𝒯𝒾𝓂𝑒 𝑜𝒻 𝒴𝑒𝒶𝓇

𝒩𝑜𝓇𝒶 𝒮𝓉𝑜𝓃𝑒

That bitch Kelper stood before Vera and I in the reliquary, smugness radiating off of her in waves. "The other members of the Gnostic Council will be here by the hour." She spoke, pocketing her phone.

"You've made a grave mistake, Kelper." Vera mused, tapping her fingers on her desk.

"I did what was right for this Temple--for the Order." I scoffed from my place beside Vera.

"You did what was best for you. Praxis attacked this Temple last night. You need Vera now more than ever. Everyone else on the Gnostic Council are idiots." Kelper's lips thinned.

"You have no say in this. You're a traitor and a werewolf." The woman turned her gaze back to Vera, pointing my way. "Maybe the Council will feel more inclined to vote your way if you flush this mutt and the rest of her kind out of the Order," I growled, letting my eyes glow silver. Kelper looked almost disgusted.

"No, I do not believe I will do that. You see, they have been working tirelessly to get our things back and to stop Praxis." Kelper scoffed.

"The things you let them steal? No, Vera. You will not sway me or my vote in your favor. The Council will be here in an hour." And then she turned and left. I growled, clenching my fists.

"They can't do this."

"They can and they have." Vera stood, grabbing hold of my hand which startled me. "When they vote me out, you will no longer be safe here." She said, seriousness in her every fiber. "They will either kill you or turn you over to the Silent Sister. Regardless, you're dead if they find you here."

"So what? You want me to run? To not fight for you?"

"Yes." I pulled my hand from her grip sharply.

"And what will they do to you? Hum? They'll kill you too."

"They can try." She said, amusement in her voice. "It's a hard feat to execute."

"Vera, you almost died last night. I--aren't you terrified?" Vera looked me over for a while, something a kin to a knowing look in her eyes.

"Everyone dies eventually. What happened last night was--bothersome, but I survived and that's all that matters." I shook my head. How could she not be terrified of death? Of dying before her time truly came. "I think what you meant to say is that you almost died last night and you're terrified."

"I have things I need to do before I'm murder, Vera." Vera watched me for a moment, her gray eyes sharp and calculating.

"You need to get Brianna." I nodded. "Have you tried a tracking spell?"

"Every single one I could get my hands on." My phone rang, but I hung it open, not even looking to see who it was. "I think he's blocking her."

"Well, before I'm forcibly removed from office, we should look--" My phone rang again, cutting Vera off. I hung up once more. Vera looked from my phone to me again. "We should look through all the tracking--my you are popular," I growled as my phone rang again.

"What?" I answered.

"We can't find Hamish." It was Randall's voice that rang through the phone.

"So? He wants nothing to do with me. Why should I know where he is?"

"Because he went looking for you after the party. We thought maybe you two--I don't know, were together." I tapped my foot. He went looking for me? To do what? I didn't think he wanted anything to do with me at the moment.