Chapter 19: 𝒮𝒾𝓈𝓉𝑒𝓇 ℛ𝑒𝓊𝓃𝒾𝑜𝓃

𝒩𝑜𝓇𝒶 𝒮𝓉𝑜𝓃𝑒

Jason and I sat hidden near the abandoned building that served at the Order's temple. We had only been here a few seconds before my phone was ringing. I looked and my heart stopped. It was Vera. "Are you going to answer it?" Jason asked, leaning over to see who it was. I answered and had it open to my ear before he could. I stayed quiet. This merely made Vera quiet as well.

"Nora?" She finally said.

"Why are you calling me?" I asked, trying not to give anything away. She still thought I was in Washington.

"Because--do you know anything about Emperor demons?" I went quiet again. Was my sister really calling me for advice?

"Why?"

"Just answer the question." She hissed. She was scared. I could tell she was scared.

"I don't. I only ever dealt with the one demon." She was quiet on the other end.

"Well then. This was a waste of time." Ah, same old Vera.

"Is something wrong, Vera?" I asked before she could hang up. A knock on her end had her shouting to hold on. "Vera?"

"No. Nothing is wrong. I need to go."

"Vera, do you need help?" I asked. The line was quiet, making me think she had hung up.

"Even if I did need your help you're all the way in Washington. I have a plan anyway."

"I--I can--" But before I could say much else, she cut me off.

"I have to go...thank you." And she hung up, leaving me a bit stunned. She needed help--she was scared and worried and she needed my help. It almost had me standing up and running into that temple.

"Vera Stone. Lovely women." I closed my eyes and sighed. "She'll be fine."

"We're dealing with an Emperor demon, Jason. I've never dealt with anything above a Baron demon--neither has Vera." We were quiet for a second.

"If it makes you feel any better, as soon as we see any sign trouble, we can bust right in there." I looked to Jason, who gave me a small smile.

"Tell me something, Jason," I said, needing to stop thinking about demons for a few seconds. "Why did the Sisters choose you as their messenger? They've only ever been a female group." Jason frowned.

"Because apparently, I have powerful magic...and it also helps that my whole family was slaughtered by some wolf." I nodded. "That's why I wasn't so eager to help you all."

"Understandable." The doors to the building exploded open and we were on our feet in moments. From our hiding spot, I could make out the figure of a man. A pale, uniform-wearing man who spotted a red rune over his eye.

"Holy shit," Jason said from beside me. My heart started to race as I pulled Jason back down behind the bushes.

"Don't talk. Don't breathe. Don't think." I said quickly before falling silent myself. God, this demon's presence was overwhelming. He smelt of every kind of fear you can imagine. He wore fear like it was some perfume. As soon as I felt him leave the area, I was on my feet sprinting into the temple. I didn't care at this point if Vera knew the others had their memories back. They had failed and Rogwan was out. Vera might not even be alive to be pissed off.

I descended further and further down until I came to a sort of lounge room, a few kids sat there, scared shitless. They looked at me, panic rising in them. "Where is Vera Stone?" they gawked up at me like deer in a headlight. I growled, repeating the question. A single kid pointed towards a pair of double doors, which I burst through. The few other students in here jumped around to face me.