Chapter 2: 𝒯𝒽𝑒 𝒮𝓉𝓇𝑒𝑒𝓉𝓈 𝑜𝒻 𝒟.𝒞.

𝑀𝒶𝓋𝒾𝓈 𝒜𝓁𝓁𝒶𝓇𝒹

"And--I won!" I shouted, throwing the game controller down and doing a little dance. Chole growled, shoving me off my bean bag chair. "I won, I won, I won and you're jealous!" Chole rolled her brown eyes, getting up.

"You cheated and you know it." I followed her into the makeshift kitchen area of our den.

"Me? Cheat? No." Yes. I was a big cheat, but you would never get me to admit it. Chole opened the fridge only to slam it closed. It had been empty for a few days now. Nora normally did all the shopping and cooking and whatnot.

"We should go look for her. It's been for a week." Chole said, clenching and unclenching her fist. It was her nervous tick.

"She said she was going--"

"Not for a week!" Chole all but shouted. I held my hands up in surrender, not wanting her to explode.

"Okay--Okay, we can go look for her." Chole blew out a long, deep breath. She hated not being in control. Or not knowing what was going on. I, personally, was a go with the flow type of gal. I was sure Nora would show up soon. Probably drunk out of her mind. Even since she had gotten that phone call a year ago, she's been more depressed. More short-tempered. And she drank like an alcoholic.

"Let's go." Chole pulling her jacket on. I stepped in front of her.

"Don't you think it would be smart to have a game plan? Or an idea as to where to look?"

"We should split the city up. No wolfing out unless you have to." I groaned dramatically. She always said that. "Poor baby." She mocked throwing me my jacket. "Let's go."

------------------

Nora was nowhere to be found. She wasn't in any bars, restaurants, or monuments. I didn't think Chole would find anything either. I didn't think Nora wanted to be found. Well, unless she was dead in a ditch. I came to a stop in front of one of the many museums and pulled my phone out. Chole answered in seconds.

"Did you find her?"

"No. Maybe we should check her hide locker." Chole was quiet.

"She's not dead. Have you tried contacting her?" She meant through the wired mind link. I closed my eyes and did as Nora had instructed. I couldn't feel her hide anywhere. Either she was really far away or dead.

"We should check--" Chole growled.

"I'm going to keep looking." And then she hung up. I sighed, going to head back to the den. Chole was going to run herself ragged. Before I turned my phone off, something caught my eye. I had a voicemail. Since when? I clicked on it regardless and found it was from Nora. Shit--shit! I quickly played the recording.

"Mavis you need to take the dagger and run. If Chloe's not with you then leave her behind. She'll find you on her own. You need to go to Belgrave University and find The Knights of Saint Christopher. They will help you. Don't talk to anyone, don't hitch any rides. Just run." Nora cursed. It sounded like she was running. "Don't go on campus. It's too dangerous. Just find the Knights--" Shrill ringing that only meant magic sounded before the recording ended.

I stood there, not knowing what to do. What did it all mean? Was Nora in danger? Was she hurt? Without much thought, I called Chole again. It rang and rang but she never answered. "Damn it Chole." I hissed. Okay--okay. Everything would be okay. I ran through the busy street of D.C. and made it back to the den in little under five minutes. Chole wasn't here like I had predicted.

I threw open Delta's hide locker. Empty. Just to be safe I threw Spiral's locker open as well. Empty. I blew a sigh in relief, but my relief didn't last long. Nora was out there. In trouble. Take the dagger and run. My anxiety fueled Redclaw's wild side. She moved about under my skin.

I rushed up the stairs and into my room, which I basically shared with Chole. Digging around in my closet, I found the dagger. A dagger I had been given about two years ago by a man who had his heart ripped out by a clay child. Thanks to Nora, I now knew that the clay child was a golem. I tucked the dagger into my back pocket and tried calling Chole again. She didn't answer.

Downstairs, I heard the scream of rusted hinges. Someone was coming in through the back door. As quietly as I could, I made my way out of my room and onto the walkway that overlooked the whole warehouse. A man and a woman roamed about the den, picking things up and moving things around. They were searching for something, I realized. Take the dagger and run.

"Gross." The man said, kicking a pizza box with his foot. "Why are wolves so gross?"

"Because they're dogs." The woman replied, looking Joan of Arc's statue. "You think they realize they worship a practitioner?" The man looked up from where he had been moving our bean bag chairs. He laughed.

"Check-in those boxes. Maybe they stashed it there." Before the women even had a chance, I jumped over the railing and landed on the ground with a grunt. The two snapped around to look at me, daggers of their own instantly in their hands.

"At least dogs can see in the dark." They looked a bit confused, but before they had time to do any magic, I cut my palm with a claw and raised my hand. I said the spell and the lights popped and went out, raining glass and sparks down onto us. The two cursed, sticking close to each other, but I was already shifting.

I clawed out each of their throats, blood splattering. Redclaw and I howled in triumph. The back door opened again, letting in a stream of sunlight. It was more magic users and they were smarter. I was blasted backward before I could attack and I collided into the tv set. Everything was destroyed under my weight. Mother fuckers--I had loved that tv.

Collecting myself, I ran towards them. I ripped one's throat out with my teeth while I ran the other threw with my claws. Blood ran down my fur as I grabbed the dagger up off the ground. I needed to get out of here before anyone else attacked.

So, without a second glance or thought, I rushed out of the front door and into the streets of D.C.