Chapter 3: 𝑀𝑒𝑒𝓉𝒾𝓃𝑔 𝒪𝒻 𝒯𝒽𝑒 𝒦𝓃𝒾𝑔𝒽𝓉𝓈

𝑀𝒶𝓋𝒾𝓈 𝒜𝓁𝓁𝒶𝓇𝒹

Nora must have been crazy to think I would actually run all the way to Belgrave. That would take me ten days if I ran without stopping. No thank you, not my cup of tea. So, I bought a bus ticket and took it as far as a small town in New York near the border.

The sun had set and the next bus didn't leave until tomorrow morning. So I grabbed myself a room and flopped down on the bed, which was lumpy and itchy. I pulled my phone out of the back pocket of some jeans I stole and dialed Chole's number. "I'm not here." Chole's brisk voice sounded before it went to voicemail. I sighed and waited for the beep.

"It's Mavis. I'm in some run-down motel in New York. Nora left me a message saying I had to get to Belgrave University and find The Knights of Saint Christopher." I messed with the dagger that lay next to me and left it out of the message. She didn't know about it and, until I saw her face to face, wouldn't know. It was too hard to explain over the phone.

"If you get this before you go to the den, don't go to the den. Practitioners know where it is. I don't know if they were the ones giving us orders or not, but long story short, they're dead. I think Nora might be at Belgrave so get your ass moving and answer your phone once in a while." I hung the phone up and stared up at the ceiling. I prayed Nora was with the Knights.

------------------------------------------

I arrived at Belgrave the next afternoon. Like Nora instructed, I stayed clear of the campus bustling with students. Being here, so close to the school, reminded me of all the classes I would be missing. Dread filled me at the thought of having to make them all up.

As I made my way around the surrounding area, I found no sign of anyone that might help me. Who was I even looking for? Other wolves? Or were these Knights magic users? Nora hadn't been very specific.

I moved away from the populated areas and started searching the woods. God, I loved the woods! There was no one around for miles and I could shift without fear of people spotting me. I should convince Nora to move us here. If Nora's alive. I pushed that thought away. She was alive. She had to be.

I shifted back into human form as I got closer to campus. Maybe Nora had been wrong about not going on campus. Maybe they were there. I found where I had placed my clothes and pulled them on, shoving my phone into my back pocket and the dagger into the waist of my jeans.

Before I could even start thinking about searching the school grounds, I heard someone come up behind me. Two someones to be exact. Slowly, I turned, finding two men standing there. Each had a dagger in their hands at the ready. Enemy! My mind screamed as I backed up a bit. "You don't do a good job of covering your tracks, do ya?" Guy number one said. I scanned the woods behind them. It didn't look like anyone else was with them.

"I didn't think I needed to."

"Sure you didn't. That's why you're going cross country with a pretty little dagger attracted to your hip." I continued to play dumb.

"Dagger? The only dagger I know of is the one you two have pointed at me." Guy number two was getting too close. It was making Redclaw stir crazy. She wanted action.

"Sweetheart, don't lie. We know who you are and we know what you are." I took another step back. I should shift. I should rip into these two. "Give us the dagger." We stood there in a kind of weird standoff. When guy number one saw I wasn't budging, he sighed. "Kill--" Shrill ringing filled my ears and guy number one went flying into a nearby tree, neck-snapping upon impact.

"Frank!" Guy number two shouted, rushing over to his partner.

"He's dead." A kid's voice spoke from behind me. I jumped around, finding a too skinny teenager standing there.