Chapter 10: 𝐿𝑒𝓉'𝓈 𝒮𝓊𝓂𝓂𝑜𝓃 𝒜 𝒟𝑒𝓂𝑜𝓃

𝑀𝒶𝓋𝒾𝓈 𝒜𝓁𝓁𝒶𝓇𝒹

I hated--hated--that Chole was right. She was always right. I should have just listened to her. I should have just left this god awful place and forgotten about Nora. I trusted Nora. I idolized her. She was strong and fearless. Now I saw she was a snake.

"Mavis! Mavis wait up!" Randall called, but I ignored him as I walked through the open gates in front of the Saint Christopher den. He grabbed my wrist pulling me to a stop. "Hey," Randall leaned down the slightest bit so he could look into my eyes. "Let's talk. Okay?" My vision went blurry.

"You know--you know she didn't even ask me if I wanted to be a Knight." I all but sobbed. "She just swung the door open and turned me into a fucking werwolf." Randall cringed a bit.

"Yeah--I kind of did that to Jack. But we're all good now--I think." Tears fell from my eyes.

"You're not an ex-Silent Sister. It's a little different." Randall shrugged, wiping my tears away. My face went red hot. Randall's soft fingers froze, like he just realized what he was doing. We stood there for a long moment, frozen in our place.

A boy was touching my cheek and holding my hand. A boy. I didn't know what to do. So, in my flustered and awkward state, I patted his arm. Patted. Oh my lord...He laughed making me laugh and we took a tiny step away from each other. I was going to die.

"If it's--uh--if it's any consolation," Randall scratched the back of his neck. "I think you were right." I scoffed, hugging myself.

"Right? About what?"

"About Nora being better--or at least wanting to be better. All that shit was in the past. Nora is just a person who did some bad things and is paying for it. I'm willing to give Nora another chance--again." He gave a small smile. Everything Randall was saying was true...but was I willing to give her another chance? She lied to me from the very beginning. Yet again, Nora did wipe Randall's mind and he's still giving her another chance.

"That fucking bitch." Lilith growled coming to a stop beside Randall.

"That's a bit strong--" Randall started but was cut off by Lilith glaring at him. She turned her glare on me, arms crossed.

"You gonna go crawling back to her?" Randall sighed.

"Lilith--"

"No--not now anyway." She scoffed.

"Then what are you going to do?"

"I don't know." Jack came up to us then.

"Well, if you want, we could use your help." He said, earning himself a glare from Lilith. He didn't spare her a second glance. "I found something that will help us get our stuff back." He opened the book in his hands, demonic symbols covering the pages. "Demons." A shiver ran down my spin. Demons were bad news--well, at least from what I'd hear from Nora.

"We summon a demon to do our heist. There are hundreds to choose from. They all do different things. I found the perfect one." Jack tapped the page he had opened and we all peered over the edge to see. "It's name is Zecchia. It's a baron demon and it steals whatever the summoner desires."

"Isn't there demon blowback? Won't we have to do something for it?" I looked from the page to Randall who looked uncomfortable.

"No, that's the beauty of it. Okay? We call them, they show up, we pay the toll, and they do our bidding. It's all about following the protocol perfectly. I read half a dozen books, and it's the basic rule." Jack looked at us, a small grin on his face.

"I'm in. Demons sound fun." Chole said appearing from out of the shadows like some kind of creep.

"We don't even know you. For all we know, you work with Nora." Chole growled down at Lilith who growled right back up.

"Didn't Nora summon a demon once? And like--her whole pack was slaughtered." Randall said, stepping in. The two girls looked at him.

"Fuck Nora." Chole growled.

"I highly doubt she followed the protocol." Lilith said, looking to Chole who nodded.

"Protocol or not, we--" Randall gestured to Lilith. "Have seen what a demon can do. I say no. No way. Not a demon. Not ever." Randall counted his fingers. "Quintuple negative."

"You wanted a new plan, here it is." Jack said, Randall shook his head.

"I'm in." Lilith said, crossing her arms. Randall looked at her a bit stunned.

"We still need to talk to Hamish about this." He said, taking a step backward.

"Okay. Lets go." Jack started towards the den. Lilith grabbed his arm, stopping him.

"I'm not going back in there while Nora is still here." Jack all but rolled his eyes.

"Then we can tell Nora to hit the road." Jack shook Lilith off of him and continued back to the den.

"Come on." Lilith gestured for Chole to follow, which she did. I stayed back with Randall.

"Lilith has to realize this is a stupid plan. Demons are bad news." Hesitantly, I took hold of his hand. He looked down at me, face going a bit red. I felt mine heat up as well.

"I'm sure Hamish will say no."

"Yeah...yeah lets hope." And together we made our way after the others.