Chapter Seventeen

❤︎

Chapter Seventeen

Arthit stood aside as he watched Kongpob bandage May's hands. Kongpob was careful not to hurt her, as he wrapped the gauze around her hand. The way he handled it was just like how a doctor would handle a patient, careful and attentive. Arthit was almost envious of the gentle way Kongpob treated May.

May continued to flicker her gaze back and forth from Kongpob to Arthit as if she had something suspicious on her mind and she was condoning Arthit for it.

Arthit had sensed May watching them last night, although he refused to think about what stirring inside his sister's head. He couldn't help but block the image of May watching them with her nails digging into her hands until she bled.

Kongpob had called for him while he was downstairs preparing breakfast to bring him some bandages and alcohol pads early in the morning.

"Could I speak to you alone?" May asked suddenly as she took hold of Kongpob's arm, like a nervous child. "Please."

"How did you hurt yourself?" Kongpob asked ignoring her request and placing her hand down to place the bandages onto the tray Arthit was holding onto.

"I've must've had a bad dream," she replied, looking at Kongpob. "I have bad dreams."

Arthit inclined his head and decided to take his leave. He was halfway down the stairs when he met with Kayla Suthiluck who glared up at him from the bottom landing.

"Good morning," Arthit greeted her with a forceful smile upon his face.

Kayla said nothing in return. She waited for Arthit to reach the landing before pulling on his arm and causing the tray to slip from his grasp. "Come here!" she demanded, pulling him roughly toward the front doors and shoving him outside.

When the doors shut with a loud bang, the young woman spun around and cursed, "You bitch. Who the hell do you think you are?!"

Who did he think he was? Arthit replied with, "Why would you ask me that?"

"Leave!" Kayla shouted, shoving him back off the porch, and causing Arthit to slip and fall flat on his back. "I don't want you here! I'm going to deal with that whore upstairs next."

Arthit felt no physical pain, but he needed to pretend that he was hurt so he winced. Pushing to sit up, he wiped the dirt from his pants and glared back at Kayla. He wondered just how Kayla was planning on dealing with May. "You didn't have to push me."

Kayla was already on top of him, clawing at his face and yanking at his hair like a vicious attacker that she was. With one simple shove from Arthit, Kayla was sprawled two feet away on the ground, unmoving.

Arthit hadn't meant to hurt her, only to throw her off. However, Kayla didn't seem to budge and he started to worry as he hurried toward her and tried to shake her awake. "Kayla. Kayla. Wake up. Are you hurt? I'm sorry," he apologized hurriedly, "Kayla!" he yelled once more, but the young woman did not respond.

He heard his footsteps and the doors swinging opened as Kongpob came rushing out toward them. He was crouched next to Arthit when he asked him what happened.

"I don't know. It just happened. I didn't mean to push her like that. I'm sorry," Arthit replied, his tears brimming in his eyes.

Arthit looked at Kongpob, expecting him to yell and scream at him, but he didn't. His mind was focused only on Kayla and nothing else. One look at his face and he knew how concerned he was for Kayla.

Kongpob was already carrying his sister towards the car. "I have to get her to the hospital."

With those last words, he was gone.

❤︎

They met up by the tree. He was walking around the tree in circles, worried that something bad might've happened to Kayla and it was all his fault. He shouldn't have used his powers so recklessly.

Tay who stood leaning coolly against the tree, said nothing as he watched him walk around like a sick worried patient in the hospital. "Oi! Quit walking around like that. I'm getting dizzy."

"Then don't watch me!" Arthit snapped angrily at him.

"You called me here!"

"I didn't!" he argued, and then mumbled inaudibly, "my mind did."

"You still called me here."

Arthit looked at Tay, noticing the smug look on his face. He was in no mood to joke around. "I don't know what to do alright." He was at the point that he needed some reassurance. Tay was supposed to help him.

"What are you supposed to do? You're not human anymore, remember?"

"But it's my fault."

Tay's left brow rose. "How? She attacked you, didn't she?"

"I used my powers."

"It wasn't in your control."

He had to blink twice. "It wasn't?"

"Jinny was hanging about. She did it."

The next instant, Jinny was standing next to Arthit, apologizing. "Yeah, it was me. Sorry."

Arthit turned to regard the woman. "What?"

"I did it. I was trying to help," she defended.

"Poor job at it too," remarked Tay.

Jinny glared at him. "Hey, at least I helped."

"Arthit is fully capable of defending himself from a mortal."

Arthit couldn't understand why Tay and Jinny were behaving like it was no big deal. "What if something happens to her? It'll still be our fault."

Tay stole a glance at Jinny before walking up to Arthit. "Something has happened her to her already. It's only a matter of time."

Arhthit turned to him in confusion. "What do you mean?"

"She's dying."

"No," Arthit argued in disbelief. "It can't be."

"She's been sick all these times. She has a heart problem."

Arthit didn't want to know how Tay knew. "But she can't die!" Arthit retorted, picturing the horrified expression on Kongpob's face. He didn't need any of that now. There has to be a way to save Kayla.

"I know what you're thinking, Arthit. But that isn't your problem or focus," Tay said sternly. "We just have to hope, she'll be okay. Hopefully she will be."

"Yeah. You can't save everyone. Besides you have your own problems to deal with." Jinny added with a sigh.

Arthit looked at the both of them. "I hope they're both okay."