Chapter Eight

❤︎

Chapter Eight

Arthit was wiping the kitchen counter when he heard the phone ringing and realized it was coming from the same room he was in. He looked over his shoulder to see that Kongpob had left his phone on the table after his meal with May. He went over to check the caller id and realized that it was from Chris Suthiluck, Kongpob's brother.

Swiping the phone from the table, he hurried upstairs and without bothering to knock, he opened the bedroom door to go inside, seeing that May had settled herself next to Kongpob on the bed, teasing him and poking him while calling out, "Kong, Kong. You like that I call you that."

Feeling stupid for intruding on them, Arthit smacked his forehead. "Aaaah, you idiot."

They both looked up at him in surprise.

Embarrassed, Arthit cleared his throat and handed the phone to Kongpob. "Phone for you."

Taking the phone from him, Kongpob said shortly, "Next time, knock."

Arthit flickered his gaze over to May who looked away as if she didn't care for any of it. "I'm sorry, I didn't realize—"

Kongpob cut him off rudely. "You never do."

Well, he was right. Arthit never did care to make his presence known, because this used to be his house. A house that he had once roamed freely in now belonged to some stranger and he needed this stranger's permission to enter the rooms. He felt cheated and angry at the same time, because he took it upon himself to bring the phone to him, but as usual Kongpob had brushed him off rudely without showing him a hint of appreciation.

Without waiting for anything more, Arthit turned around and exited the room, shutting the door behind him. He didn't know what bothered him more, the fact that Kongpob was being back to his usual arrogant self or the fact that his sister refused to acknowledge him.

❤︎

"It's going to rain today," Arthit murmured quietly to himself, as he stood in the front porch, gazing up into the gray sky and watching the clouds spreading their glorious wispy wings over the sun. The sun wanted to hide today. There had to be a reason for that.

Something is wrong, Arthit thought, sensing an odd chill in the air.

The crack of thunder sounded above him. Arthit stretched his hands up and stepped off from under the porch to allow the first touch of rain to fall on him.

Let it pour its sorrow upon you, Arthit.

His eyes mimicked the sad sky, shedding its very own sorrow.

How come I feel so human? Why does it hurt so much? Why do I feel like this?

"Arthit," a faint voice called inside his head. "I'm sorry you feel that way," the voice came again.

Arthit immediately opened his eyes and realized whom the voice belonged to. "Tay, get out of my head."

Tay appeared behind him, looking over his shoulder with his hand resting on the other side of his shoulder. Unlike Arthit, he didn't allow himself to get wet by the rain. "This rain is going to continue for a couple of days," he said, looking up at the gloomy sky.

What was this? Did he assume he was forgiven after making me bond with him? Arthit pushed Tay's hand off his shoulder and turned to confront him, "This bonding thing. Why did you do it?!" he nearly shouted at him, pointing a finger at him accusingly.

Tay appeared almost guilty with the mischievous smile of his. "I came to apologize...for that. I know you may never forgive me but I had no other choice. I couldn't just—ask you to bond with me. It's wrong. That's like asking a girl if she wants to have s—"

"Don't say it, Tay!" Arthit snapped, growing more embarrassed by the second.

Tay pretended to zip his mouth with his hand, "I'm sorry, Arthit. Jinny would never leave me alone if I didn't do it. I can't have her constantly hanging around me. Now that I'm closer to you, that would prevent her from being around me. She can't attached herself to me the way she used to."

"I don't care what you do with her. Why did you have to involve me into something like this? And do you know what's worst? The White Angel thinks...he thinks we're lovers!" Arthit exclaimed in frustration.

A scowl formed on Tay's face. This was the first time Arthit had ever witnessed such a scowl on Tay's face. He did nothing wrong to deserve such a scowl from Tay. It should have been the other way around. "Why should you care what he thinks? Do you harbor some crush on him?"

"I'm..." Arthit couldn't answer him. He felt like he wanted to disappear. Covering his face, he couldn't handle any more. He took a deep breath and then removed his hands. "Because you've been...there. I meant, because you've always been here for me, showing up whenever you feel like it. This bonding that happened—it happened because you're practically the only guardian spirit I know, not because there's anything more to it. Do you understand?"