6. TRUTH

Taehyung set his phone down next to him on his bed. He laid there trying to sleep, but his thoughts were overwhelming. Why did his dad never tell him about this? Did other people in his family know? While he was mulling over these questions a knock came at his door.
"Come in!" He yelled back.
The door opened and his brother Seokjin appeared.
"Hey little bro, where you been?" He asked throwing a drink to him.

Taehyung sat up as his brother sat down on the edge of the bed.

"I had a uh long night." Taehyung replied.
"Yeah I figured since you didn't come home. Don't worry though I covered for you with the parents. They think you stayed at Jimin's last night." Said Seokjin.
"Oh man thanks!" Taehyung said letting out a sigh of relief.
"Well I hope you didn't get yourself into too much trouble!" His brother said standing about to walk away.
Taehyung didn't say anything at first, but let out a question before his brother could leave.
"Hey hyung, do you know anything about shapeshifters?" Taehyung said quietly.
Seokjin froze.
"Why are you asking?" He asked with concern.
"I was just curious." Taehyung said nervously.
"Did something happen?" Seokjin asked sitting again.
"Maybe..." Taehyung replied looking down at his hands.

"Taehyung I need you to tell me, did something happen?" He said grabbing Taehyung by the shoulders.

Taehyung looked suprised. Seokjin realized he probably scared him and let him go.
"Well...yeah something did happen." Taehyung said softly.
"To you?" Seokjin asked.
"Yeah." Taehyung replied.

Seokjin let out a deep breath and stood. Taehyung looked up at him and saw that his brother seemed pretty worried.

"What is it? What's wrong?" Taehyung asked standing as well.
"Tae, you need to listen to me. You can't tell mom and dad. They can't know!" Seokjin said.
"What? Why?" Asked Taehyung.

"Because if they find out something very bad will happen!" Seokjin said angrily.
"What do you mean? Why?" Taehyung asked confused.
"Oh god. Look they will kill you ok? You can't tell them!" Seokjin said grabbing Taehyung by the shoulders again.

Taehyung felt his legs go weak.
"They will kill me? But why? What is going on? I don't understand." Taehyung said his heart picking up.

His brother sat him down and took a deep breath.
"Look, I don't know very much but when I was your age dad told me some things. He said that our family was cursed, and that if the curse showed up again it was my responsibility to be a man and take care of it." Seokjin said.
"Take care of it how?" Taehyung asked.
"He gave me a pill. He said if I ever felt like something was off, or I started getting blackouts...that I was supposed to take the pill. He said it was what wa best for the family." Seokjin said.
"What kind of pill is it?" Taehyung asked.

"It causes a heart attack in less than a minute. It makes it look like natural causes, so no one asks questions." Seokjin said quietly.
"He wanted you to kill yourself?" Taehyung asked in disbelief.
"Yes. Look our family has been members of the council since this town was started, they can't allow for scandal. Having a family gene that causes someone to transform into a wolf would not only be a scandal but would cause panic. People don't realize such things really exist and that our family is involved." Seokjin said.

"I can't believe this! You knew about this and you never said anything?" Taehyung said standing his heart racing faster.
"No one in our family had displayed any sign of being affected, so I just thought there was nothing to worry about. But now, I don't know what to do." The elder said sighing.
"You dont know what to do? What do you think I should just kill myself?" Taehyung asked in shock.
"No of course not, that's why I'm telling you to keep it a secret." His brother said.
"Yeah but I cant control it, what if I change in front of someone? What then?" Taehyung asked.

"They have contingency plans in place for those things." Seokjin said looking toward Taehyung.
"What? They would really kill their own son?" Taehyung asked tears filling his eyes.
"Tae I wont let that happen. But we need to figure out a way to teach you to control this." Seokjin said pacing.
"I already have people helping me." Taehyung said confidently.
"What do you mean? Someone else knows about you? Who?" Seokjin said panicking.
"He is a friend and he wont tell anyone. He was the one who pulled me out before I shifted in front of a class of people and he found me in the woods." Taehyung said sitting on his bed again.
"And you are sure he wont tell anyone?" Seokjin asked.

"I'm sure!" Taehyung said giving Seokjin a pointed look.

"Well ok, well if he can help you then I guess we have to trust him. You have to be careful though, some people can't be trusted with knowing." Seokjin said heading toward the door.
Once he left Taehyung grabbed his phone and saw several messages from Jungkook.

(Messages between Jungkook and Taehyung)

Jungkook: "Taehyung are you ok? Did something happen? Are you ok? Do you need help?"
Taehyung: "hey, I am ok! Why what's wrong?"
Jungkook: "oh man I was panicking here!"
Taehyung: "why?"
Jungkook: "I was getting a weird feeling that something was wrong with you."
Taehyung: "Really?"
Jungkook: "Yeah...I don't know why I just felt it."
Taehyung: "my brother was just here...he told me a bunch of stuff, I guess my heart rate must have gone up. But idk how you would you know if you are not here?"
Jungkook: "idk how either...are you ok though? Did he upset you?"
Taehyung: "he knows about shapeshifters...he said that my dad told him if he ever showed signs of being one that he should kill himself...he told me to keep what I am a secret."
Jungkook: "what? Really? Does your brother want you to kill yourself?"
Taehyung: "no, but he thinks if my parents knew they would want me to or they would do it themselves."
Jungkook: "What?!"
Taehyung: "yeah....what do I do?"
Jungkook: "uh idk LEAVE!" You can't stay there with people who want to kill you!"
Taehyung: "yeah but they don't know, if I can control this they never have to. Won't they be worried if I leave, then they may find out sooner."
Jungkook: "what are you going to do then?"
Taehyung: " I don't know! This is a lot to take .im still trying to get it all straight. I mean what do I tell my friends?"
Jungkook: "You can tell them I beat you up!"
Taehyung: "What?"
Jungkook: "Well, i kind of dragged you out of class right in front of them. what else could be the reason?
Taehyung: "Yeaah, but what if i need to talk to you during school or need your help? It wouldn't make sense to talk to you after you beat me up."
Jungkook: "That's true...hmmm...you can tell them we had a fight but talked it. Over and now we are cool."
Taehyung: "That is a horrible story but i doubt we can come up with a better one."
Jungkook: "I guess you're right. ok try and get some rest and try to stay calm. Or you might make me panic again."
Taehyung: "ok, ill go to sleep then."
Jungkook: "Ok see you tomorrow."
Taehyung: "Yeah, tomorrow "