Chapter 81 A price to pay

Start from the beginning

In the tent, Ignisius turned to Cyrus. "Your Highness," he said, "with your permission, I will go speak with lord Cassius. We will select a few men to join Alcaeus at the border."

Antonios from Moraye inclined his head. "I will do the same, my prince."

Cyrus nodded. "Go. Instruct the men to gather here within the hour." Once the men had left, he turned to Darius. "I need to write a report to my father. I'll leave you in command of my men when they present themselves."

Darius nodded. "Go," he dismissed his brother-in-law, and he let out a long sigh once he was alone. His thoughts went out to his wife and children. Were they still alright? He wondered how the boys were doing in their lessons and if Roshan was already taking her first steps. He missed them terribly. But he needed to keep in mind that he was doing all this for them. For their future.

"My king," one of Darius' scouts approached the tent and bowed deeply. "The daily count has come from the border," he said while handing Darius a scroll. "Names of those that have fallen, Your Majesty."

Darius let out a deep and heavy breath. This was always the part he dreaded most, seeing names on that list he knew. "Thank you," he said, "take some rest before reporting back for duty."

"Yes, Your Majesty," the scout bowed, and he retreated.

Darius sat down on one of the chairs in his tent and opened the list. Thirty more deaths. Many injured. The added forces needed to be dispatched as soon as possible.

His eyes scanned the names and halted on the final one. With a sigh, Darius stood up and went in search of Cyrus.

The crown prince of Zeir was not that far away, seated at a small stationary in one of the smaller tents. When Darius entered, he looked up. "Have the men gathered already?" It hadn't been that long since he left the commander's tent.

Darius held out the scroll to him. "If you haven't finished your report yet, you may want to add something to it."

Cyrus studied him for a moment and then looked at the scroll. He knew what it was. He just didn't know whose name he would find on there. Of every casualty, the family of the deceased were notified. But if Darius found it necessary to come find him the moment the list arrived, it must mean someone of high rank was on there.

He feared what he would read.

"It's not lord Iolaus," Darius informed him calmly.

Cyrus let out a breath he didn't know he was holding, but then looked at Darius again. "Is it Iason?" Already he was mentally preparing himself for Vara's reaction. How could he ever face her? Even if it wasn't his fault, he still felt responsible. She would be heartbroken.

"It's not Iason," Darius said.

Cyrus sighed again and took the scroll. He read over the names. Most were men from Tirèze, but there were a few from Zeir. One from Lavos.

It was the final name that made him sigh again.

Alcaeus di Santi

Ophelia's cousin. They had known each other well. It grieved him the man had died. Ophelia would be upset. She had doted on her cousin.

Cyrus nodded. "I'll inform my father. He will make sure the family is notified. And I'll add the names of the other fallen from Zeir as well thank you."

Darius nodded. He himself would instruct Torcan to do the same for the men from Tirèze, and he'd send word to king Elon as well. One of his men had died too. "I'll leave you to it. I should return. The men will assemble soon. With this news, every man available should be sent out posthaste before we lose our ground. We will avenge or dead." He nodded at Cyrus and returned to the commander's tent.