Chapter 7 P.2

*The quote above is from the song 'I will carry you' from Ruelle. Can listen to the song while reading this chapter.*

Some actions need to shout out words than words that are simply spoken. I intend on getting answers right now as to why my family is strange. I am not taking no for an answer. Not today nor any other day.  

"I will cooperate if you tell me what the hell is wrong with you," I tell the merman in front of me.

"What do you mean? There is nothing wrong with me."

"Oh yes there is. You never were demanding nor gave punishments to your own children. Forcing them to do things to please you. That is not my father. My father was caring, easy, fun. It was more mother that had the tough side. What happened here that got you to turn into a complete stranger?" I tell him.

He looks at me. His blue gaze looks over my entire figure. He keeps his gaze still when returning to my face. I see tears gather in his eyes. My narrowed eyebrows lift up in worry and sadness at the merman in front of me.

"The day we left you on land would have been the hardest day of my life. I wasn't able to protect you like I expected or wanted. I wasn't able to give you driving lessons, if you went to school then I wouldn't have been able to dance with you at prom. I wasn't there to keep you safe from boys your age or older." The tears that gathered swam out of his eyes and floated into tiny bubbles up to the ceiling.

My shoulders ease up with what is being said to me. 

"You think you failed as a father," I state as he nods hanging his head.

"I wasn't there for you. The day your mother and I brought your little sister into the sea and left you, I closed everything away from me. I couldn't bear losing anyone i love again. Your sister took your place in being my precious daughter while you were on land." 

I don't feel any jealousy of that statement. My sister deserved all the love and care when I couldn't have it on land. The distance and amount of sacrifice they made that day in leaving has changed even them.

"I had sometimes forgotten I had another daughter on land that is living on her own. When I did remember I would scold myself. Your mother was strong but losing her first daughter to the land took its toll and she lost her confidence. Your mother as well as I wish things were different..." He looks up at me with a heartbreaking expression.

Tears falling upwards like an upside-down waterfall, and his lips are pulled back in a sad sneer. He pleads at me in apology through his tears. I don't move to do anything right now. What he said explains a lot but it still doesn't give him the right to be a tyrant.

"You feel guilty for what you've done?" I ask keeping my attention on him.

"Yes. Definitely."

"Answer me this then..." He blinks away his tears giving me full-on attention.

"Do you think I would forgive you?"

He hangs his head not giving me an answer. I look away thinking of what to do now. I can leave him here for the guards to free him. I can go and ask my mother for a dance instead of this male.

No. It wouldn't fix anything. It would show I am a coward which I am not. If a father and daughter dance he wants, he will get it. My mind screams at me to not free him. Be selfish and have him hurt some more for his actions.

I silence my inner siren who is vicious and vile in my mind. People say to listen to your heart and some to your head. I listen to what I feel is right. No voices can influence that. 

I swim forward and untangle the chain around him. My father follows my movement with surprise. I grab his left hand and pull him to the center of the room. My left-hand guides his right onto my waist and my right holds the hand which I pull him with.

"Don't say a word. Just dance with me for the sea dance." He caresses my hand in his and I freeze my gaze onto his black suit material.

We swirl and circle about the room. He lets go of my waist and we swim apart with holding hands. He pulls me back in and hugs my waist and lays his head on mine. I know I might regret freeing him of his bonds but right now, I just want to give him what he wanted as a father.

Dance with his daughter.

"Why are you doing this?" He asks unsure of my motive.

"You said you missed the dance, you're getting it."

Silence falls between us again. He leads us through the dance. When finished he stops swimming and simply remains with his forehead on the crown of my head as I am shorter than him.

"Why do you pretend to be happy?" That question caught me off guard.

"What?!"

"I never seen you smile since you came here. At times, I confess, your mother and I went up to the surface to look at you in the house. You never once smiled or had a party or even hanged out with friends. Why do you make yourself miserable?"

"You have watched me?"

"Yeah. Now, are you going to tell me why you make yourself sad?"

"I thought it was obvious. You died, left me alone, left me period." I whimper remembering every single day of coming home and seeing nobody there.

Living independently feels different if you decided to live on your own and can always visit your parents. Living alone knowing there is nobody to go visit family-wise then it is definitely lonesome.

He wraps his muscular arms around me. I grip my wrist in the back of his waist at the base of his spine. This is all I ever wanted. A hug from someone who cares. Warmth. Love and family. The hug of a father can never be replaced by any male.

"I missed you so much, squirt." I laugh with tears blurring my vision.

"You are a jerk." I hit my fist on his chest near his heart. "I missed you too though."

"Honey, are you..." Mother's voice fills the room and we look over to her.

No words were spoken as I stretch out my arms for my mother. She lifts a hand to her mouth as tears gather in her eyes. She swims over and wraps me in her arms. Father wraps his arms around the both of us like a bear.

"Welcome home, my dear."

*sniff, sniff* my heart is aching from writing this chapter. *blows nose*

This is really a sad chapter but it was needed. Here is a box of tissue for you who are crying with me.

This journey is not over so please comment, follow me, and vote.

Enjoy =)* Blows nose once more and whip tears away*