Chapter 5

There can be some families that quarrel or have a bad edge toward each other but this time it is my family that changed for the worse. I don't know what happened during the time I have been on land but something in the ocean has changed my family to not be who they are, that I know them to be.

Today, is when they showed their true colors and I fear, my decision of returning, was a mistake. 

The training has begun. The sun wasn't even high in the sky when my father called me and my sister to the ballroom. I yawn stretching my arms out and look at my father who is waiting for me and my sister.

"What is so urgent dad that you had to wake me up. I was dreaming of a pink seahorse." I laughed at my sister's dream. She is so young and has so much to learn.

"Sorry for the wake-up call girls but you need to learn the royal life. Especially, you Cymopoleia, since you are new to all this. The sea dance is coming soon and you two need to be able to impress no matter how much you don't like it." Dad tells us with his hands behind his back.

"What about mother? Where is she?" Crystal asks.

"She is still asleep. I will be your trainer for the royal life. Your mother will teach you girls about dresses and whatnot but the vitally important aspects will be with me. Now, let us begin with the laws of the kingdom." Dad swims off. 

Crystal and I look at each other and shrug. We swim after our father and the king of the Atlantic ocean. As he swims he informs us of the laws and most of the history of the kingdom. Crystal and I follow but become slightly bored.

"Now, when being a royal. It is a privilege, a great responsibility to uphold which I expect most coming from you, Cymopoleia. You are the eldest child of the family and so you must meet the standards just as much for the standards if you had a brother." Father turns toward us and looks at me.

I nod and he returns to swimming about the mansion. Mermaids and mermen servants swim past us, bowing their heads, and stick to the side as we pass by. I see them all stay low and halt in their deeds as we pass.

"Dad," I call.

"Yes, daughter." I kinda am beginning to hate that tone. The nonchalant and half paying attention tone.

"I have seen a lot of merfolk bowing and showing submission. Are we alphas or something?" I question.

"In a way, yes, we are alphas. The kings of the ocean are alphas while the kings of the seas are nobles. You see, we royals, pick one part of the sea to build our kingdom but we control the ocean in which we look over with. You, my dear daughter, may gain control of the ocean at some point in time if you have that power." hope begins to rise in my chest but it plummets down at my father's next words.

"But only males have the chance to obtain that power." Something in the water has changed not only is Nix being a bit dark but my father is being very narcissistic. What is going on?

"Right." I turn my head and my jaw tenses at the situation.

"I am sure my sister can still be a great queen even without powers." Crystal places her hand on my shoulder. I smile at her in appreciation.

"Sure she can sweetheart. The powers will be used by her husband as she takes care of her children." I stop swimming at hearing that.

I am not even here for a day and already my father is doubting my skills of ruling without a king. Do I look like I need a king to rule with? No! I don't and besides, I bet I do have the power considering when I had that breakdown; Thunder rumbled outside and the whole earth shook.

And another thing! I am not some treasure to lend off for power and marriage. I have much more potential than just being a wife and a mother. I expect quality with my rank. anything more but nothing less.

"Now, for your real lessons," Father opens a room with a harp, conk shell, liars, and a piano.

"Music!" Crystal swims over to the piano but our father grabs her arm pulling her back.

"Father?" she looks at him.

"We aren't playing an instrument. We are learning the Wavers song." Crystal's shoulder slump and she nods swimming back to my side.

I place a hand on her shoulder and she shrugs it off turning her head. I glare at my father who is becoming a git rather than a caring father. 

"Now, here is what the song is. Listen very closely for I will expect you two to sing it afterward." Father raises his hand and a stereo appears hovering in the water. It begins to play a tune and song.

My sister is the first to sing the song and had a few times where she missed the lyric or went off-tune. I look at my father and see he has an agitated expression.

"Again!" Crystal looks at him.

"What!? But what about Cymopoleia!?" she points to me.

"Until you do it correctly then it will be your sister's turn." Crystal pouts.

"Dad, how about I give a go and then she-" He holds his hand toward me.

"No. She practices till she gets it right then you follow." He returns his hand behind his back.

"Again." Crystal huffs and sings once more.

For three more times, Crystal has sung and still has the same problem with the lyrics and the high note squeaks. I see she is straining and I can clearly hear the soreness in her voice.

"Again." I glare at my father.

"Okay. That is enough." I swim in front of my sister facing the man.

"Cymopoleia, stand aside. Your sister has to perfect the song," he speaks at me glaring slightly.

"Yes I know that but you are straining her vocal cords. How do you expect her to sing if she loses her voice?" I ask him, staying in front of my sister as a shield.

"Silence your tongue." He glares at me and I glare back.

"No! You can't-"

"Sis!" I turn to my sister.

"It is alright. I will continue to practice." Crystal tells me and I look at her in disbelief.

"How can you continue to practice when your voice is becoming hoarse from the strain?" I ask her.

"Cymopoleia! Stand aside and let your sister continue her practice." I glare at the man and swim off.

"Cymopoleia! Get back here!" he roars behind me but I swim off not wanting to believe it.

My own father is pushing my sister to be perfect when she is obviously straining herself. She needs to rest or drink something to keep her voice from disappearing. I make it to my room and lay on my bed.

'What is going on?'

*Seems the sea is a very dangerous place that changes you.

Can Sarah survive this? Is this even her real family?

Comment down below and follow along. =)*