27

"Holy shit," America muttered. "I never knew. I'm sorry he had to go like that." Germany nodded and drew in a shaky breath. "I'm glad he died, but not because I hated him. I'm glad the torture of him having to fight over control for his own thoughts and actions are over."

Canada looked on, unsure of what to say. "Well, um, do you have tea?" he asked Germany. Ukraine looked incredulously at Canada. "Tea? Why would you ask for tea?"

Canada shrugged. "It's what my family does when someone's upset."

"You mean, that's what Dad does," America corrected. "I ran out of tea, but I think I have some coffee. Let me fetch it for you." Germany said, straightening up.

"No, Niemcy." Poland replied. "I'll get it. Sit down." He walked over to the coffee machine and made a few cups of coffee, returning with one or two cups each time until everyone had their own mug of coffee.

"I want to go home," Russia suddenly admitted. "I want to wake up and realise this is all a dream. I'm tired of running and living in fear. It's December and the snow is going to fall soon."

"I know," America mumbled. "But it's not safe for you and your siblings to return home. Your dad is furious at all of you."

"But what if he was like-" Ukraine spared a quick glance at Germany. "-Germany's father? We could find a way to fix him."

For the first time, Canada shot Ukraine a glare. "Not you too. How are we supposed to fix him? We don't even know if it's because of intrusive thoughts he doesn't have control over."

"Don't do this, please." Canada begged. "Why?" Ukraine demanded, his voice quick and sharp. "No one cares about me, anyway." Russia opened his mouth to say that Ukraine was his brother and he cared, but not before Ukraine added, "Other than my siblings, that is."

Canada turned redder than his flag already was. "That's... that's not true." Ukraine raised an eyebrow. "Oh, yeah-?"

Canada pulled Ukraine into a hug. "Yeah."

Ukraine pulled at his hoodie, speechless at the physical contact. "I... uh..."

Canada stammered, realising what he had done, "What I meant to say is, uh, we all care for you here, we're all friends and we all have to look out for each other."

A mischievous grin crept onto America's face. "Admit it." Canada peered innocently at his twin. "Admit what?"

"Y'know," America waved his hand nonchalantly. Russia, Germany and Poland grinned, trying to rein in their laughter as Canada and Ukraine's faces started to heat up from embarrassment.

"What?" Canada continued to feign ignorance. "Two bros, standing in the same room, no feet apart 'cause they are gay." America teased, earning snickers from the group of friends.

"I'm not gay," Canada protested, moving slightly away from Ukraine. "I'm straight!" America smirked. "You were not yesterday."

Despite himself, Canada couldn't help but laugh. "Are you seriously referencing Legally Blonde right now?"

"The situation called for it. But hey! You didn't deny it. Don't resist the gay. Come out to us, we're all in a homosexual relationship anyway." America invited.

Ukraine groaned. "We're straight."

"Actually, I'm not." Canada finally confessed. "You're on your own now."

America let out a loud woop. "I CALLED IT!" Ukraine blushed a deeper shade of red and groaned. "Well, shit. I'm coming out of the closet too, then."

Russia cheered overenthusiastically with the intent to embarrass his brother further. "Fuck me," Ukraine muttered under his breath. Canada overheard that comment and said flirtatiously, "I could, if you want me to."