5. I'm going to catch you

Life is a daily oscillation between revolt and submission

Ren spends all his time in this room—the one he has now attributed to as a dungeon.

He is locked in here all day and all night, and brought food on a wooden tray like a peasant (which isn't fanciable either; yesterday they brought him oats with barley bread for breakfast, and the guard in charge of his lunch forgot to feed him entirely at noon). Deciding that a hunger strike will serve him no use, the omega has opted to eat whatever food they give him. But even poison is better than the gunk they feed him. Still he eats, as he must recuperate strength.

Then there is the darkness. The skylight is only opened in the afternoon, and closed again from six until twelve the next day. Although the omega has gotten used to the eerie silence in a room unlighted, he still reverently enjoys when they let some sun inside. It touches his skin warmly and makes the dreaded experience in the dungeon so much better. Also, it gives him good courage to work hard and heal his shoulder muscles.

Until he can start planning his escape and suited rescue from this place, Ren must ensure that he will be strong enough to do so. From the little he has seen, Basil Forbes is someone who does not like to lose, and will not be contested unless a fight breaks out to earn your rightful spot above his menacing sense order.

Basil had at last instructed that the omega receive his recommended dose of physio and exercise. Once a day, a therapist working with doctor Padma comes into the dungeon to help Ren stretch. For about an hour, he has to endure difficult exercises that have him working twice as hard than he would if he hadn't sustained these injuries. They do internal rotations, shoulder elevations, and from next week, the therapist wants to add resistance bands to Ren's routine. Soon, he should be strong enough to do wall push-ups, and then lift 2kg dumbbells.

Basil needs for the omega to have a speedy recovery, and seeing as this therapist is a retired assassin who had worked in the army prior to his killing contracts, he is a fighter, not a lover, and overworks the omega so much that at the end of his sessions he feels as though his arms are going to fall off. But he's a really fun guy, the first alpha that Ren has met that he does not totally despise. The guy doesn't talk much, just listens and laughs to what the omega has to say, and although he knows that the circumstances under which they have met is not necessarily admirable, he will admit that he enjoys this alpha's company.

More than Padma'a even, who, although she is kind, is too formal and tends to get boring. Besides, she's basically Basil's lapdog and Ren couldn't get any good information out of her even if he tried. Her loyalty to the alpha is one of iron resolve. A total kiss-ass.

"Are you going to ask him out?" Ren poses as he bends forward to touch his toes. The muscles in his shoulder blades pull still, but the pain is now bearable and no longer feels like a piece of elastic that stretches wide only to violently snap back. "Because he sounds really sweet."