XVIII. Realization Comes Over

Start from the beginning

----------------------------

I was on my way to Hagrid's Hut alone. It was my third subject, Care for Magical Creatures with Hagrid. I know that this would be very awkward because Draco was also taking this subject. I reached the hut seeing the Slytherins and Gryffindors that are waiting for Hagrid. I looked at Draco that was currently protecting a Gryffindor girl from the other Slytherins who was teasing the girl. I stood beside Ginny and Harry who was waiting.

"Oh, Hermione. I thought you weren't coming. I mean, every classes, you're always early." Ginny said.

"Erm. . Ofcourse I won't miss the classes. I'll enjoy my last days here in Hogwarts." I said jokingly, trying to cover the sadness in my eyes.

"Hermione's right Gin. Hermione? missing classes? Impossible." Harry muttered teasingly. Moments later Hagrid arrived.

"Stud-ents come wit me." Hagrid said before walking towards the Forbidden Forest. All the students nodded and followed him. We reached the dark part of the forbidden forest with tall scary trees and with creatures we all know.

"Al-right, I know tha' ye know this creatures. Ye took this lesson years ago. Wha' are they?" Hagrid started his lesson. As usual, my hand reached the air before you can say 'thestrals'.

"As o'course, Ms. Granger." He said.

"They are thestrals. A thestral is a breed of winged horses with skeletal body and leathery wings that resemble a bat's. They're very rare and known as omens of misfortune 'cause they're visible only to those who have witnessed death at least once." I said matter-of-factly.

"Very well, Ms. Granger. Five points to Gryffindor." Hagrid said that made me smile and all the Gryffindors.

"Yes, She's righ'. Thestrals can be seen only by people who witness' death. Al-most all of us have seen death after 'he war." Hagrid said before giving it a food.

"They're loyal crea-tures an' can discern a friend from a' enemy. I' can attack any enemy o' its owner." Hagrid uttered looking at the creature before him.

"They're can only be foun' in dark environmen'." He added.

"Thestrals ar' carni-vorous animals and ar' attracte' to the smell o' blood." He said that gave students goosebumps.

"Time fo' the ride. Who can do it firs'?" Hagrid asked. I didn't notice that everyone except stepped backward.

"Great, Ms. Granger, come." Hagrid uttered. I just bit my lip. I stepped forward and slowly got to the thestrals back. Slowly, the thestral walked but I don't think that it was on its mood. The thestral kept jumping and forcing me to leave. I put my hands to its neck.

"Woah. Woah." Hagrid said while trying to calm the thestral. Then suddenly, Draco got to his feet and ran towards the thestral I'm riding. He patted its head before riding at the back of the thestral behind me. Slowly, the thestral calmed down that made the crowd clapped in awe. Then, to my shock, the thestral ran and then flew up in the sky.

"Draco, why are you doing this?" I asked him. We're already floating.

"I saved you Granger." he said.

"Why did you?" I asked avoiding the awkwardness.

"Nothing. Even if others rode, I'll still help them out." Draco answered, his voice was cracking, as if he was lonely. I didn't say another word and minutes later, we landed.

"Quite good, Mr. Malfoy. Thankyou for saving Ms. Granger. Five points to Slytherin." Hagrid said before helping me to jump on the ground. I ran towards Ginny.