Chapter 31

TW: mentions of abuse, description of scars

You sat on the bed with your back pressed tightly to the head board, sheets clutched around your body. Only your head was visible to the doctor, who was on the receiving end of your scowl.

"Miss Song, I understand your hesitation, but I need to remove your bandages. Your wounds are healed. Leaving the wrap on will only cause skin chafing," the doctor pleaded, hands held out in front of him as if trying to calm down a rabid animal.

You gave no response, save for a deepened scowl. Your leader sighed as she turned to the gray haired doctor.

"Don't worry Doctor, I will make sure her bandages come off. I'm sure you understand her uneasiness with a stranger seeing her mark. Please, let me show you out," Nayoung led the doctor out of your room, sending a brief glance towards Minji, who was sat on the edge of your bed.

When the door clicked shut, Minji turned to you, reaching out a hand to stroke your freshly washed hair.

"Chickie, you promised to take your bandages off in the shower before your appointment with Doctor Go. What happened?"

You felt the tension leave your shoulders as you leaned into Minji's touch. "I'm sorry," you whispered. "I couldn't do it. The mirror is so big, I was afraid I'd accidently see it."

Your eldest member's breath hitched. It. Your mark. It was on everyone's mind.

The inevitable had arrived. Everyone knew there'd come a day when you'd have to remove your bandages and see your soul mark for the first time since your accident.

Your assault.

Everytime one of your soulmates visited, they wore dark colored sweaters with high necks, actively trying to avoid the chance their mark would be seen.

Seen by you, someone who's mark no longer looked as beautiful and delicate as theirs. While you appreciated the effort, just seeing your soulmates was enough to remind you of the warped lines on your back.

The saying goes "out of sight, out of mind". As long as you didn't know what your mark truly looked like, maybe you could pretend it looked perfect.

You knew that was ridiculous though. There would come a day where you'd return to performing. A day when your stylists would have to transition from using makeup to cover your mark, to using makeup to cover your scars. A day when you'd know exactly what mess the skin on your back was wearing.

The edge of your blanket fell to your lap as you let Minji wrap you into her embrace. "Y/N..." she said your name. "What can we-what can I do to help?"

"I don't know unnie," you mumbled into her shoulder.

"Would you prefer if one of us helped you take them off? That way you wouldn't have to risk looking in the mirror?" Minji's hand crept to the neckline of your t-shirt, grazing the edge of your bandage.

Right as you flinched away from her touch, the door burst open, a red-faced Nayoung storming through the threshold.

"Enough is enough Song Y/N", Nayoung bit out through gritted teeth. "We were patient with you for the past six days, but we can't stretch this out any longer. The more you wait to take the bandage off, the more you're putting yourself in danger of other skin infections. Take the damn wrap off. Now."

You gave Nayoung a blank stare before your eyes flicked to Minji, who sat next to you with a sympathetic look on your face. You sighed, "Really? Good cop, bad cop? What am I, twelve?"

Nayoung rolled her eyes. "You sure are acting like it."

"I told you I'd take the bandages off. How about trusting me instead of treating me like a child?" You crossed your arms over your chest, an eyebrow raised challengingly.