47 | Elvira

Irene is there

Irene is there. 

She's standing outside the hospital room I was told by Zane to come to, with a worried face. Her eyes have unshed tears in them and she is clearly having a hard time holding them back. 

I pause.

The last time I saw her, it wasn't pleasant. Not after what she said about me. After everything, after all the times I proved to people that I was capable on my own, that I didn't need anyone else's success for me. Everything I did evaporated into thin air for the people who I cared about.

Irene fell under there. Not because I am with Zane but because I actually liked her. She was sweet, kind and caring. Loved her brother despite their banter, and the purest soul. 

Yet hearing her talk about me that way, it didn't sit right with me. 

I watch her from far, seeing her sag against the wall as she muffles her cries behind her hand to silence them. My heart still aches even though I don't know what it is that she is so upset about.

So for a second, I forget what she said about me, put on a soft smile and walk towards her. 

"Irene?" I softly call her.

She stops, lifting her wide eyes towards me and before I know it, she is in my arms, hugging me tightly as she sobs and lets out her tears freely rather than trying to bury them.

I run a tender hand up and down her back, I let her cry her heart out because I know after being in pain, holding it in for so long, it's relieving to let it out. 

"Elvira, I-I can't b-believe mom w-would do that," she sobs, tripping over her words making my heartache in pain. 

"What happened, Irene? Tell me," I smooth her hair on the back of her head, taming her dark hair that has fallen out of her ponytail.

Leaning back, she settles down, sniffles but not crying as much anymore yet that one tear that escapes her eye is wiped by me. I lead her towards one of the chairs before sitting her down and letting her head rest on my shoulder.

"Shh, what happened Irene? It's upsetting me to see the bubbly Irene like this," I whisper my thoughts because I don't want to be loud. My voice acts as a soft lullaby for her because her eyes flutter closed slightly but she stays awake.

"Mom, she.... she's pregnant," her voice breaks at the end but I am confused. Why is she crying if her mother is pregnant? Does she want-

"And it's not dad's," that's what makes my breath knock out of me. 

"W-What?" I sputter out. 

My mind instantly goes to Zane. Where is he? He would be livid hearing this and seeing Irene's state, I know Zane would go back to hiding behind the walls he built for himself from the world. His family was and is important to him. A top priority that I would never argue about, and then seeing his mother do this?