I sit back onto the tree and start reading with my half drank coffee. My reading is interrupted by the sound of branches breaking coming from the woods.

I look up to see some bushes moving, it could be a deer or better yet, a dog. I slowly stand up and backed away. Stepping out of the bushes, there he was.

Dom.

"Hi," he smiled at me.

What the fuck is he doing coming out from the woods?

I highly doubt he was looking for something in there just to end up in the school I happen to go to.

"What are you doing coming from...there?" I ask motioning towards the forest.

He sighs and rubs his forehead. "Okay, this might sound creepy, but I'm here to talk to you."

"How did you know I would be here anyway?"I asked.

He looks up and smiles. "Come on, Nina. You would always go to the back of the school to hang out with-you're friends." His smile faded when he said friends.

I know who he was about to mention. And that was another sharp pain through my chest.

Cassie.

"Come with me," Dom says making me look up.

"Why should I?" That was all I could manage to say.

"Nina, you and I both know that we have a lot to say, I mean at least I do."

I do too, but I'm afraid I won't be able to find the right words to say what I have to say. Do I really want to ditch school just to have him explain something that doesn't need to be?

He left me, part of me wanted to believe that but what he said in that email told me otherwise. Maybe I do need an explanation.

"I could use another coffee," I said hesitantly but he just sends me a smile, the smile that will cause me to laugh when I was fourteen.

"Great! Let's go, I know this cafe, it's small but cozy, I know you'll love it."

"We can't go out by the main door, the guard might see us trying to sneak out." I say rolling my eyes at his stupid thought.

"Didn't know that," he mumbled, looking down before he meets my gaze again. "I guess we'll have to go this way." He points towards the woods.

I nod walking to the trees. "Let's go then."

Walking inside this cafe, I see that there aren't many people, just a few studying in their booth and some on the counter chatting. Dom and I sit in the farthest booth and he takes a seat across me.

"Welcome to Sammy's Caffe, what can I get started with you today?" The sweet blonde waitress asked giving us both a smile.

"May I have a black coffee?" The waitress writes it down and looks over at Dom.

"I'll have one too, thanks." He smiles giving her the menu.

"I'll bring that right up!" She said cheerfully walking away.

Dom sighs and stares at me for a moment and so do I.

"Nina.." he starts, "I know things didn't end well as we parted ways but-" he stops looking down releasing a long breath. "I never- not a day that passed by- stopped thinking about you."

Is he being honest? Why didn't I ever get another email saying so then? Is he  just trying to make it up to me because he thinks I'm still hurt?

I opened my mouth to speak when the waitress came with our orders. "Here are your drinks-" she put the coffee down, "can I get you guys anything else?"

"We're fine, thanks." Dom said and she nodded walking away. Leaving me and Dom in silence wondering about what he just spoke.

"Why didn't you?"

Dom's face turns into a frown and his eyes narrow."Excuse me, what?"

"Why didn't you ever contact me? You say you never stopped thinking about me yet you never bothered to call, or send a three-second text asking about how I'm doing-" I stopped when I felt my eyes well up.

I thought I had used up all of my tears, but not.

"And now- three years later you're...here." I blink back tears, Dom looks like I had just punched him in the gut.

"I never contacted you because I knew that I couldn't bear the pain of knowing you weren't there." He sounds truthful.

Maybe he did want to see me but his parents didn't let him, at least that's what he said. I don't know if he ever wanted to though, in my mind, he left.

"You knew how bad I was grieving, you could've sent me a letter, you know?" I said, swallowing the lump stuck in my throat. "But you didn't, so obviously you didn't care enough."

Dom seems to tense up a little since he looks down, probably feeling ashamed because I'm right.

"That's not true, but I do get where you're coming from."

Just as am about to take a sip from my coffee, my phone starts ringing. Chase is calling me.

God, I had almost forgotten that I ditched school, He's probably wondering where I am right now. I sigh and turn my phone over.

"Who's calling you?" Dom asked.

"Just a friend,"  I said shrugging and drinking my coffee.

"Is he-" he pauses looking away. "Is he your boyfriend?"

He cannot be jealous, not right now, not after he was the one who left. But he certainly doesn't have to be jealous of Chase,  I mean, we're just friends, nothing will ever happen between us.

At least that's what I want to think.

"I-uh, no, he isn't." I stutter, he quickly glances at me and he seems to relax as he sends me a small smile."When did you come back from boarding school?"

"Two years ago." He says, sounding like a whisper.

I scoff shaking my head as I crossed my arms over my chest. "Even afterward you didn't bother to look for me."

His face turns into a frown and he narrows his eyes confused. "You're the one who moved, how was I supposed to know where you would be?"

"That's my point, Dom. I moved away because all the people that I cared about left me, my father died and it was horrible." I say blinking away tears that threaten to fall.

"Cassie died and I-I lost her and then-" finally a tear fell. "-then I lost you."

I might not see it in his expression, but I know he's feeling guilty because he knows I'm right. I wiped the tear-off with the back of my hand, putting it down afterward. He puts his hand over mine but I quickly moved it away.

"I should go," I say standing up and grabbing my book, before I can step out of the booth, he stands up and takes a hold of my hand.

"Wait, I'll drive you home." He says with pleading eyes.

"Fine, hurry up." I say walking over to the exit.

***********
A/N: Was Chase Griffin jealous? Who knows maybe, go vote and share. Sending love🤍✨