Chapter 28

"Well, let's get to the reason we all gathered here, hm?". Jimin's grandmother says with a smile, and Jimin and Jungkook share a look. They've been at the dinner for an hour now,  and after some awkward conversations with relatives and mingling and Jimin having to explain to every cousin, aunt or grandparent why Jungkook is here too, they're sitting at the enormous dinner table, awaiting the discussion.

"Do you have a girlfriend?". His aunt asks happily as Jungkook squeezes Jimin's hand under the table.

"You can tell them.". Jungkook whispers, and Jimin nods, clearing his throat before he faces everyone.

"Yes, I'm in a relationship. No, I don't have a girlfriend.".

The entire table falls silent, staring at Jimin, clearly confused until his grandmother speaks up. His father is glaring at him and shaking his head, looking shocked and angry, not because he's surprised Jimin's gay, he knows, he always has, but becuase he really thought his son would hide it all for his sake, agree to lock himself in a cage they built together.

"What's that supposed to mean?".

"I have a boyfriend." . Jimin responds, a little louder than intended, and Jungkook flashes him a small smile.

"What?!".

"A boyfriend?!". His aunt asks, looking shocked, and Jungkook is sure his grandmother is about to faint.

"Yes, a boyfriend. A male that I'm dating.".

Jungkook nods with a grimace.

"Jimin, do you want to-".

"Thanks, baby, I was about to say that.".

As if they couldn't be more surprised, more jaws drop, gazes snapping towards Jungkook who's fidgeting in his seat.

"Jimin, dear?". His grandmother starts, voice shrill. "Are you implying that-".

"Yes, I am. I'm gay. I'm dating Jungkook.".

"Isn't that the kid who's working at the company?". His uncle asks, and Jimin's father nods curtly. "Ah, the smart one.".

"That's him.". Jimin says stiffly. "Oh, right, I assume I should tell you that I'm planning on letting Jungkook take my job at the company forever since I don't want the heritage. We already discussed the transfer of my shares, but it's all the same if we stay together for longer, anyways.".

Jungkook flashes him a small, encouraging smile, but Jimin's cut off when his grandmother speaks up.

"I won't hear it. Park Jimin, I refuse to let you marry this kid, let alone-".

"Try stopping me, I dare you."

"It's your duty to the family-".

"Bullshit. I love him, and I don't care what you have to say about it, what duties or traditions I'm breaking by doing this.".

"Well, isn't your... boyfriend going to say anything?!". She snaps, sounding disgusted at the words, and Jungkook looks up with a sigh.

"His boyfriend will, in fact.". Jungkook responds. "I love Jimin, and Jimin loves me. I honestly don't care what you have to say about us not being a good match, and I don't care what you'll do to get us apart. Try your best, get him married to some businessman's daughter, ship me to another country and blackmail my parents, I'll still love him. I'm not giving up.".

"Exactly.". Jimin chimes in. "And I don't see why you should get a say in whom I date, or marry. But you know what, try me. Try marrying me off or forcing me to inherit the company, I won't. I've already declined my inheritance, I'm starting on my own, now. And if you don't let me out of your, honestly ridiculous proposition of selling me off to another CEO's daughter, I'm cutting ties with the entire family. Have fun finding a new heir, then.".