14. Meeting

He came home and resigned on his bed, tired, both mentally and physically.  The next day arrived, bringing with it the same old routine of missions, interviews and work.

Days passed into weeks, weeks to months and months to years with nothing changing. Everything seemed monotonous. It seemed as if life was just going on, without any purpose or goal.

It had already been two years since that incident which changed his life. The day from which he never met her again. He would still hope everyday that someday she will knock back on his door. He realised that he deserved everything which he is getting for his actions and she is receiving the happiness which she always deserved.

Yet, he acknowledged what he got and moved on with his life, considering the last six months as one of the happiest moments of his life.

Just like any another day, this day too began the same. The same work, the same shitty meetings, the same missions. Presently, he was sitting in the office of the Hero Public Safety Commission who were going on about some villain who was on the loose and regarding its investigation, to which Shoto wasn't paying that much of an attention. He slowly watched the snow filled trees, being blown by the winter breeze from the nearest window.

"Hero Shoto."  The man began, "We want you to start investigating in this case as soon as possible. We will inform you about your partner by tomorrow."

"Yes sir." Saying this, he stood up and left.

On arriving in his room, he sat in his table with the pile of papers regarding the investigation. The next day, he went to the office to receive the details regarding the new mission given to him.

He stood outside the office door when he heard a faint female voice coming from inside of it. He didn't pay much mind to it and knocked on the door. On hearing the small proclamation to come in, he slowly opened the door and entered. 

His eyes widened on the image he saw in front of him. The person he left there standing, two years ago was there, sitting right in front of him. He saw her expression change from initial shock to that of a rather calm expression.

"So, Mr. Todoroki, its a rather important mission and since both of you know each other quite well, we thought to assign it to you." The officer said. 

After the rather short discussion, they left the office. On their way back to their respective agencies, she started, "Dont you think its rather weird for them to pair us together?"

"I dont know." He said with a small sign planted on his face, "But I am happy, atleast we got to meet again."

"So how is life going?" She asked, looking at him.

"Fine." He replied, "Nevermind. Anyways how about you?"

"Its boring."She said,"Well are you free tomorrow?"

"Yeah, kinda."

"Then we can start the case from tomorrow. Today I am kinda busy."

"Oh. Its fine."

"Will talk to you later then. Bye" He watched her as she slowly left waving her hand. He never thought that they would meet in the first place, let alone talk and honestly, though the talk was kinda awkward, he felt relaxed and cheerful.

He slowly brought his jacket closer to his skin and started walking back towards his agency.

The day passed by quite slowly. He finished his work and arrived home quite late at night. On arriving, he slowly opened his clothes, changing into some fresh ones. He opened his phone on the sound of a ringing notification.

There were some unread texts from his dad from 10-15 days ago, which he didnt bother to read and two messages from his ex-wife who also now his partner.

"Hey." The messages read, "Where do we meet tmrw?"

"Lets have breakfast at some place and then proceed with our work." He typed in and clicked the send option.

"U are still so formal in txts." A new message came in, "Anyways where do u wanna eat?? I bet its some place where cold soba is avlbl."  

"You choose the place."

"Hey. Remember we had breakfast at a place when we went on shopping together. I forgot the name but the food was great. How about there?"

His nostalgia kicked in, making him remember the moments they spent together from the years ago, making him smile.

"Sure. Will see you then."

He didnt know whether it was fate who brought them together, but he was happy that it happened. He knew it would cause him pain to watch her from afar, being with someone else but it was better than not seeing her at all. He was sure to make the time worthwhile for her atleast, if not for him, cause he still loved her.