Chapter 24 "Grasslands"

Meadow POV

What on earth was Sirocco talking about? This place isn't dangerous at all. It's just open fields and some forest full of frolicking deer. I've been away for about a couple hours. Dire District is long behind me. Swampy marshes and clusters of trees are all that the eye can see. Shire's enjoying this just as much as I'm liking this. He's munching away on grass and weeds while I walk around and explore. But, I can't forget why I'm here and where I'm going. And what I'm going to need to do. 

Rustling leaves and the wind are all that I can hear. This place is much nicer than Dire District. Sure people and services may be there, but here. There's nature to take care of me. I could just lay here for hours... and doze off...

I wake up to rain drops falling on my muzzle and dampening my wool. Shire's curled next to me, but I'll need to wake him up. How much time have I lost? I look up to see dark gray clouds bursting with rain. Quickly, I nudge Shire awake. He gets up with a start before calming down. "Come on boy, we gotta get going" I reassure him as I mount onto his back. The rain's pouring hard now so I put up my hood. We're approaching some woodlands quickly. So I better be prepared to swat branches away from my face. 

We dash through the woods and slide on mud. Sirocco might be a little right about this place being dangerous. Suddenly, I pull Shire's reigns and we come to a screeching halt. We just about hit a wolf. Wait, a wolf? They're banned in Dire Kingdom. "Sorry about that. I didn't expect anyone to be barreling down the hill" the wolf says in a raspy tone. "No, no. It's okay" I sigh. "Say, what are you doing out here anyway? Normally coyotes like you hang around the towns" the wolf said. What does he mean by coyote? "I'm a sheep" I say as I pull down my hood. "My apologies, the hood was hiding it, we don't normally get visitors often" the wolf says as he walks off into the woods. "Goodbye... I guess?" I call. The wolf doesn't respond. 

Oh well, we should continue our path. I push the steel heel of my boot into Shire's thigh and we get moving again. We continue on for another hour or so and stop in heavily wooded area. Most of the clouds have cleared and stars shine through. I dismount Shire and tie his lead and bridle to a tree. I then proceed to get out the map Sirocco gave to me. "Shire! Good news. We've gone about a day's travel that quickly!" I rejoice. Maybe this won't be so long and lonely. 

New chapter later today