“What were you saying, John?” Sherlock asks suddenly, his eyes snapping open and fixing the doctor’s own.

“I … Never mind, doesn’t matter, Sherlock.” John replies, looking back to the morning paper.

“You made me a brew?” And both John and Sherlock are surprised that it actually sounds like a question.

John looks up for a moment and then re-composes himself before settling to read the paper again.

“Good observation, that.” He simply replies, sipping his brew.

“Thank you.” Sherlock whispers, picking up the warm drink and looking at the floor.

John’s head snaps up and he watches Sherlock, watching the floor.

“You’re … welcome.” He smiles, even though Sherlock can’t see him but the younger man looks up and smiles back.

“I was thinking of taking Ana to the park. Seeing as you’re in a mood.” John adds, still scanning the paper.

“I’m not in a mood.” Sherlock snaps, fixing John with a glare.

John can feel Sherlock’s gaze burning him and he looks up with a small smile, “Of course not.”

Sherlock rolls his eyes in return before going back to sipping his drink.

A silence falls over the room before it’s interrupted by Mycroft.

“Hello, boys. Oh, still in the middle of your spat are we?” The older Holmes greets with a snide smirk.

“Shut up, Mycroft.” John jumps in with before Sherlock has a chance.

“You really like pouring fuel on an already burning fire, don’t you?” He snaps, taking his empty cup to the kitchen.

Sherlock just smirks into his cup.

Mycroft follows John into the kitchen, not paying any attention to his little brother, and closes the sliding doors behind him.

“It seems that we have gotten off on the wrong foot, Doctor Watson.”

“Whose fault is that then?” John snaps back, focusing on scrubbing the cup so he doesn’t throw it at the older Holmes.

“If you have any intentions of getting with my brother then you’d do well to stay on my good side.” Mycroft replies calmly.

Stay on your good side?  You’re the one who walks in like a nervous time bomb all the time!” John actually shouts, finally looking at Mycroft.

“It’s only been twice, Doctor Watson.” Mycroft replies, still very calmly which worries John.

He can deal with anger and danger but calm, calm means deadly and he has a feeling that Mycroft is very deadly.

“So you don’t deny it then, I see.” Mycroft adds, before taking a seat at the dining table and placing his umbrella on his chair.

“Listen, I don’t know what you think is going on, but me and Sherlock are just friends. And we’re barely that.”