Chapter Ten

"So- it feels like we've been walking around for a while guys," Leorio says, marching with his arm, containing his suitcase, slung over his shoulder.

"Yeah and I don't smell her over in this direction," Gon says, fixing his nose and lifting it to the air.

"Gon?" Killua asks sweetly, stalking over to him carefully as a cat would to a mouse.

"Yes, Killua?"

"Why didn't you do that earlier before we got lost?" Killua coos.

"Because you seemed so confident when you took off!" Gon exclaims.

"Oh! I'm going to kill you!" Killua jumps on top of Gon's shoulders, pulling on his hair as Gon dances around to stop him.

"Hey, Killua, you're hurting me," Gon whines.

"Okay, so let's just turn around and start back over at where she disappeared," Leorio says. "Hey, Killua, cut that out. You're hurting Gon. I swear, I'm like both of your fathers."

"My dad doesn't really show affection. I suppose it's a Zoldyck thing," Killua says, hopping down from his perch on Gon and raising his arms behind his head.

"My dad abandoned me, so I guess you're the closest thing I have to a dad, Leorio." Gon smiles widely, rubbing the places on his head Killua pulled too hard.

Leorio's face brightens with the compliments, then begins walking back to where they had come from, only able to mumble unintelligible things because he didn't know what to say.

Gon and Killua follow him, smiling at how Leorio was reacting and continued on their way, following close behind Leorio.

"Do you smell her Gon?" Killua asks as they come right back to the spot they were before.

"What does she even smell like? I wasn't close enough to tell," Leorio says, rubbing his chin as he looks around at the familiar area.

"She kinda smells like a mix of lavender and some chemical I can't recognize. It doesn't seem like a dangerous chemical like Ponzu, maybe more like a cleaning chemical?"

"Was that a question, Gon, or an answer?" Killua asks.

"Hehe, to be honest, I don't know," Gon says shyly.

"Well which way is it coming from?" Leorio asks, tilting his head down to examine as Gon once again lifts his head to smell the air.

"Follow me."

They weave through the growing crowds, following close behind Gon as he maneuvered the streets in search of Damascus.

The sun is near the final hours before it fades to a glowing orange. The street walkers have increased throughout the day as the time for the bigger auctions are closer and more people have been arriving here from wherever they originated. More vendors have taken this opportunity to sell their items, whether it be food, junk, or seemingly valuable items laid down on a rug beneath old tattered tents. The buildings all look the same, but Killua makes sure to memorize every twist and turn they take, even remembering the street names as they pass.

Soon Gon stops in front of a modest hotel, folding his arms and looking up at the sign in confusion. "This is where the scent stops."

"I guess we can find her inside." Killua takes the first step forward, opening the door to have Leorio and Gon trail behind.

"Can you smell where she went?" Leorio asks.

Gon nods as he begins to travel up the stairs to their right, completely ignoring the dumbfounded look on the receptionist's face. It would have been a strange thing for a man who looks to be in his mid 30's to ask a young boy if he smelled where she went.