Chapter Thirteen

Kurapika surveys the perimeter with Melody, a pair of binoculars held limply in his hands as thoughts swarm his mind. His hands are shaky. Whether it is anxiousness or the fear to look into the eyes of the horrendous monsters that killed his friends, he couldn't determine. He is sure that once he stares into the eyes of these individuals, he would find that there was nothing but a void of nothingness. As that one saying goes 'the eyes are a window into the soul', would their eyes reveal an empty and unkempt house signifying an abandoned soul that may have never even been?

They're selfish and cold-hearted. Every last one of them. Mercilessly murdering children and defenseless women is something only a monster would be able to do without even a second thought. They don't care about how many people they kill, because whoever is in their way is who they will get rid of without hesitation.

They wanted his brethren's eyes and the only way to get them was to kill everyone. Imagine the others who have also been affected by the Phantom Troupe's desires. The mountain of bodies that have piled up beneath their feet must be immense. Kurapika was going to put a stop to it tonight.

Their reign would be over.

Everyone affected by their evil would be avenged by his hand in the name of the Kurta Clan, whose eyes were more precious than their lives.

Melody looks to Kurapika, sensing the dramatic increase of the hatred within his heart.

"What do you think about to cause your heartbeat to crescendo like that?"

"It's nothing, no need to worry yourself with it." Kurapika places his fingers at the bridge of his nose as he releases a soft sigh.

"Kurapika, carrying burdens alone is like tightening an instrument's string, the more pressure you apply will lead to the string breaking."

"Yes, but if tightened correctly you get a perfect note, and thus a beautiful melody."

"True, but it's obvious that you have surpassed this point and you're liable to break at any moment without help." Melody speaks softly, hoping the tone will soothe Kurapika's angry heart.

"Even if I do tell you, it will not change anything." Kurapika takes a deep breath while glancing around at their surroundings before continuing. "The Phantom Troupe had killed my clan and taken their eyes while I was away. Our eyes turn such a brilliant shade of scarlet when we are excited, and apparently that is enough to kill women and children for. I will avenge my brethren and take back their eyes so that they may finally rest in peace."

"I-," Melody stops before a frown overtakes her face. "I hear gunshots within the building."

"How did they get weapons into the building?" Kurapika asks.

"I don't know, but we need to hurry."

The both of them rush down the flights of stairs until they come to the ground floor before tearing through the swinging door to cross the blocked off street. There were still guards in front of the building, completely oblivious to what was happening within the walls of the building they were watching.

Kurapika looks to the barricade further down the street, seeing that they were still guarded and seemingly undisturbed. This unsettled him, but he pressed on into the lobby, running with Melody by his side before going to the site of the auction.

There was nothing. No bodies. No blood. No chairs. Nothing.

"Kurapika, the safe."

Kurapika turns to see Melody pointing down a hallway. He joins her and looks into the now completely empty vault.

"Did they take the contents? I thought Blaise was watching the vault, where is she now?"

"I don't hear her, or anyone besides us in the building. I think we should call the boss."

"Agreed," Kurapika mutters before pulling out his cellphone to call Dalzollene to explain the situation.

"Yes, we spotted an airship travelling away from the building. I sent for a car, so be ready at the front door."

"Of course," Kurapika answers obediently before hanging up. "Come on, Dalzollene is sending a car for us."

By the time they arrive at the front door, they see Dalzollene driving the first car and Squala the other. Melody and Kurapika choose the former car to catch Dalzollene up to speed on what they had, or rather, what they had been unable to see.

"They've been spotted near the Gordeau Desert."

"May I assume you mean the Phantom Troupe?" Kurapika asks rather calmly, an ominous silence before a storm, or as Melody recognized it the piano before the overpowering fortissimo of the bridge before the reprise of the chorus.

"The guards thought they might have recognized a couple of them as Spider members, so I'd advise being prepared for anything. As you both should know they should not be taken lightly." Dalzollene begins speeding to the outskirts of town where the Phantom Troupe was said to have been spotted, with Squala and the other bodyguards following right behind us in their own black car with tinted windows.

"Anyone who would would be foolish," Kurapika agrees, leaning forward in the front seat, setting his hand on the dashboard before squinting his eyes to look through the window.

"Look." Kurapika points to a hot air balloon that has materialized from the cloudy night sky.

"Shoot it down!" Dalzollene demands, calling to the soldiers who were patrolling the area and accompanying the Nostrade bodyguards on their hunt.

Kurapika places his hand over the other, feeling the realness of the chains he had left conjured on his wrist, the coldness of it filled him with a mix of purpose and anxiety as if this was the only reason he was alive.

This was what he was destined for.

Because nothing else in the world mattered as much to him as this.

And tonight he would allow for destiny to fulfill its use for him.

No matter the costs. 

A/N

A lot of these next parts will resemble the anime/manga significantly, because I want to keep the events as similar as possible, but obviously change how certain characters will react differently faced with these changes. Keep this in mind especially with how Gon and Kurapika will react with the events you know happened in the show, and predict how you think they will react!