Chapter One

Kurapika looks out the window of the car, seeing the dusty plains that surround Yorknew City which only make him feel more anxious. Somewhere out there is the Phantom Troupe. Hisoka had told him that the Spiders had been told to meet in Yorknew City on the first day of September. This would be one of the only times the entire troupe would be together. The opportunity was perfect, especially now that he had mastered his nen abilities, made specifically for the spiders, as well as had a job that was based in Yorknew during the same time the troupe would be active. They would pay, and Kurapika would get his clansmen's eyes back. Every one of them would pay with their lives, that he promised.

He just needed to bear with the Nostrade family long enough to become an influential member. That was essential in finding where the Kurta Clan's eyes were. Nothing else was as important.

Melody looks over to Kurapika, hearing the anger that pounded within his heart, a cold and distant sound that was painful to her ears. She had heard something similar when they had first met, but she didn't know what weighed on his heart to make the sound of his soul so excruciating to listen to.

Kurapika catches Melody's face staring at him through the glass of the window, then turns to face her. Melody manages a sweet smile, which in turn calms Kurapika and his hateful heart. Although the two were far from close, the smile was enough to keep his mind off of the Phantom Troupe for the time being and focus on his work now: Protecting Nostrade's daughter, Neon.

The cars soon pull into a hotel, which Kurapika takes a good look at, noting all the surroundings, just in case. He was always very cautious and preferred to be prepared if something unexpected were to happen. The car which contained Neon was behind him, so he quickly got out, along with Melody and Basho. In the car ahead of him, Baise got out with Squalla and his dogs by her side.

Baise's nen ability was useless to Kurapika. What good would she do in battle if she had to take the time to kiss a target to make them obey her commands. It was an impractical ability which made Kurapika question her capabilities of being a proper bodyguard. Melody seemed smart and was a good lie detector, as proven before when they were tested to see if they were qualified enough to escape that house alive. Beyond that, it was obvious most of the heavy lifting would be relying on himself, Basho's poems, and Squalla's dogs. Although, it was always possible that they wouldn't run into trouble, regardless of the boss's paranoid concerns.

Whatever happened would not deter him from wiping the Phantom Troupe of the face of the world. All to ease the hatred and pain his brethren had felt as they were killed right in front of one another.

Melody goes into the hotel to check in, while Kurapika aids in moving Neon's stuff inside the hotel.

The Underground Auction is set to start tomorrow, which means it is likely the Spiders will attempt a heist considering they were told to be there the day the event begins. What their target item will be is a mystery to even Kurapika. What would the leader of the Phantom Troupe even want at the auction?

Once the boss has been settled in and the others have retreated to their rooms before being given further orders, Kurapika goes to the rooftop of the hotel, looking for where the Phantom Troupe could possibly be hiding. Their presence in the city only made Kurapika more anxious, the temptation to wipe them all in an instant was overbearing. However, Kurapika was smart, and although his passion for exterminating the Spiders could cause him to lose sight with rage, even he knew taking on the entire Troupe would be suicide. He needed to be patient. He had waited years to kill the Phantom Troupe, a couple more days would be nothing if it helped send his brethren peace in the afterlife. Their deaths would be avenged, even if he were to give up his life for their peace.

So engulfed in his thoughts and inner darkness, Kurapika had not taken a notice of the beautiful scene that was playing before him. The golden sun had begun to set, leaving the horizon gleaming with color as the rest of the sky had taken to a more darker purple that was already littered with sparkling stars. The moon had yet to come out, but it did not take away from the majestic masterpiece. Birds were fluttering about, returning to their nests for a night's rest before waking early to the morning sun. The buildings surrounding him were alit in the fading day. The fuzzy lights from street lamps and passing cars only added to the wonder of the growing night. There seemed to be a sense of peace in the air as families were once again reunited as parents returned from work. The smaller auctions around town had already caught people's curiosities and fascination, making the city lively even at dinner hour.

All this beauty was lost on Kurapika, as revenge was the only thing that occupied every inch of his mind.

And the darkness only festered.

(A/N)

Kurapika is so hard to write for some reason XD. So I hope I'm doing his character justice.