Chapter Twenty-One

Start from the beginning

As for Paige that was something he needed to get out of his system, walking away from her hadn’t been easy, but he was doing it for her and one day she would thank him for it. That was what he was holding on to now, one day she would have a family, someone to love her, and he would be a distant memory.

“Where have you been?” Seth growled when Marcus walked through the doors of the church.

Marcus walked up the aisle towards where Seth was sitting at the bottom of the steps and threw him a bag of blood. He had stopped off at a hospital and stolen some blood on his way back, he needed an excuse for where he had been.

“What is this?” Seth asked in disgust, “Just because we are here like tramps does not mean that I am feeding like one!”

He threw the bag back at Marcus and stood up walking to the vestry and slamming the door. That idiot actually thought he was going to drink that cold blood. Marcus bit into one of the blood bags and drank it, he wasn’t fussy, and at least Seth was talking again even if it was to moan.

“I’ll leave it here for when you change your mind!” Marcus shouted through the door.

With that, the door bounced back open and Seth grabbed Marcus around the neck, “I am not drinking that shit, so get it away from me. I don’t know why you came back, I don’t need you!”

“You woke me, remember,” Marcus reminded him.

“And what a mistake that was, just as I’d managed to get my life straight you mess it all back up with that demon loving mate of yours!” Seth shouted.

Marcus knew he was losing his temper because of Paige, and it was probably because of the past that they had yet to discuss, “Maybe it’s time we talked, you should let me explain.”

“I don’t want to hear it, I know why you did it, don’t you think after three hundred years I’ve already figured that out! You locked me in that coffin and made me kill my family because you’re a sadistic bastard. I know all about when you were human you hide behind being an orphan and being brought up by nuns, but that doesn’t hide the fact that you were a murderer before you were a vampire. I wasn’t evil before you turned me, but you fit the mould perfectly!” Seth spat.

Seth’s grip tightened around Marcus’s neck, but Marcus managed to shove him away, “You know nothing!”

Seth laughed in his face and shoved him against the wall, “I know what you did!” He told him.

Celina told Seth what Marcus had done as a child, his mother had been  a whore, it wasn’t unusual back then, but Marcus despised her and in a moment of madness he attacked and killed her. As the years had, passed Marcus had become quite twisted and when he met Seth and turned him, he was in a dark place. He locked him in the coffin, at first it was because he was unsure of how to deal with him, but then he realised when he let him out that he could have some fun with his hunger.

‘It had been a week since Seth had been told what he was, but if he thought he was going to be allowed out of that coffin he had another thing coming. Marcus kept him there, only occasionally letting him out. He was testing his temper, waiting until he was at breaking point. Vampires never fed from each other, the taste of their blood was disgusting, but the day he let Seth out and he attempted to feed from him, he knew it was time.

“I’m so hungry,” Seth growled as Marcus pinned him down trying to stop him from biting him.

“We’re going to visit your family,” Marcus informed him seriously.

There wasn’t a flicker of emotion in Seth’s eyes as Marcus mentioned his family. It was just what Marcus had wanted to see, it was a sign that he was leaving his emotion behind. He heaved him to his feet keeping him at arm’s length, knowing that if he took his eyes off the young vampire he would pounce. Marcus kept hold of Seth as he opened the door to the basement they had been staying in. It was dark, damp and smelt of stale beer, but it was shelter from the sun. It was  a place where no one would interrupt them, and if they did Marcus would kill them anyway.