THIRTY-FOUR

" when things are bad, remember me happy "

Chapter 34:

One of the best and the worst day of our lives

Flashback: 2001

Soft piano was playing in the Stark Mansion as Annabeth entered the house with a bright smile. Tony Stark's mother, Maria, was siting at the piano while her fiancée of two months, Tony was on the couch, obviously drunk.

"Morning, Maria," Annabeth smiled at the woman, "Are you ready for your trip?"

The woman looked back at the girl with adoring eyes, "Oh yes, dear," the woman said, "Wake him up, will you?"

Annabeth and Maria were very close- they always had been. Maria had, over the years become like a diary for the teenager, someplace she could tell everything she felt. She was the only person, except for Andrea, Annabeth's mother, who knew about the pregnancy.

Annabeth walked over to the couch and flicked Tony's forehead in an attempt to wake him up.

"Not now, Annie," the boy groaned, "I am so fucking tired."

Annabeth turned to see Maria watching them and she hoped with all her heart that she did not hear the boy whisper profanities.

"Try to remember the kind of September. When grass was green...." Maria Stark played the piano beautifully as Annabeth stood nearby- defeated in her attempts to wake the younger Stark up. Soon the woman stopped singing as Howard Stark walked in, but continued her melodious playing.
"Wake up, dear, and say goodbye to your father."

"Who's the homeless person on the couch?" Howard said, looking at his son and then turned to the young girl in the room, "And Annabeth dear! It's been a while since I saw you last."

Howard had always like the girl- she was determined and she knew exactly what she wanted in her life. He had only hoped that her goodness would one day influence Tony too.

"Oh I am sorry for not visiting earlier, Howard," Annabeth smiled apologetically, "But my exams had been going on and as of today, I start my baby-sitting ."

Tony, wearing a Santa hat, staggered up to his feet, chuckled and kissed Annabeth's forehead lightly.

"This is why I love coming home for Christmas," Tony said with a bitter-sweet smile, "Right before you leave town."

Annabeth elbowed the boy, "Anthony! play nice."

He just grinned at her while rubbing his bloodshot eyes and pulled her towards himself so her weight was on him.

"Be nice, dear, he's just back for a little while," Maria chided her husband and looked at Annabeth like- 'men'.

"Really, from where?" Howard eyed his son, suspiciously, "Which bar?"