EIGHT

" remember when things were alright? "

Chapter 8:

Let him go

While she was going down the workshop stairs, Annabeth could hear the blasting rock song that Tony always liked to listen.

One day he will go deaf, She thought half listening to Rhodey complain over the phone, again, about Tony being late.

"I need to know when he will come. My superiors want an answer."

 She finally arrived at the workshop door and saw her boss working on his precious car. Annabeth dialed her password and JARVIS, automatically, cut Tony's music.

"I will keep you posted," She answered her best friend and hung up the phone while Tony complained about the lack of his music. She briefly looked at him, "You are supposed to be half the way around the world right now."

Pepper walked up to them as Annabeth looked down at the file on her hand. She had a couple of things to ask him before he left. After that, her whole afternoon was free to enjoy with her friend.

"Tony, I need to speak with you about a couple of things before you leave," She spoke to him but he was ignoring her, still complaining about the schedule and how his private plane was supposed to wait for him. Usually Annabeth enjoyed this little bickering, but today she was hoping to let Pepper have a good time for the sake her own, so she decided to ignore him and went straight to business.

She started to talk about the Jackson Pollock's painting that Tony had expressed the desire to buy but never gave a definitive answer. She stopped to look at him while he was wiping his hands. 

As expected, when she told him her thoughts about the painting and how she thought it was way too overpriced he immediately showed himself as interested.

"I need it— Buy it," He spoke and she couldn't hold IN her smile. Pepper took the folder from Annabeth hoping to tell Tony the next topic considering Annabeth was just starting to stare at him weirdly. 

Now, next was a topic that both Annabeth and Pepper knew he was going to complain at. They were at the end of September and the MIT wanted him, as usual, for a commencement speech.

"The MIT commencement—" Pepper started talking and as expected, he interrupted her.

"It's in June Pep..." He started to walk to the back of the workshop and the girls followed him, "It will take a while... don't bother me with this."