nine | the chase begins

☼

chapter nine | the chase begins
episode six

Beneath the palace, the Darkling approached the dungeons with his eyes falling on the man who called himself the Conductor. Time was ticking and they needed to break him quickly with Alina gone.

"I've been swindled," the prisoner told them. "Hoodwinked."

"My guards tell me that they caught you fleeing the scene of the crime," the Darkling said.

"Yes, I followed them," said the Conductor.

"Followed whom?"

"They come from the other side of the Fold," he explained. "From the start, they seemed, just, a bit off to me, so when they left our stage, at the fete, I followed them to see what they were up to, and at the time that I walked into that room, they were gone and...Saints, it was... unspeakable. So I ran. I..."

The Darkling looked to Ivan. "How much of that is true?"

"He did cross the Fold with the others," confirmed Ivan. "The rest were lies."

"What?" The Conductor gasped, suffocating on his fear. "That's... no..."

"Your heart gives you away," Ivan told him.

"Do you know we keep records of everyone who crosses the Fold?" The Darkling continued. "For the winter fete, we had ambassadors from Kerch, Novyi Zem, the Wandering Isle, but you didn't cross with them did you?"

The Conductor shook his head.

"No, you and your crew," said the Darkling. "You have another way."

"I don't know what you mean," he tried recovering. "I..."

"He does," Ivan confirmed.

"I'm an entertainer," the Conductor cried. "Oskar, Oskar Krepkov."

The Darkling approached his captive, clutching at his wrist as his shirt was pulled up to reveal the jagged lines that decorated his arm. "Well, that is certainly entertaining," said the Darkling. "You are the Conductor, Arken Visser, are you not?"

Enraged, the Darkling stood, having waited years for this moment.

"You smuggle Grisha out of my palace!" The Darkling announced. "You help them abandon the war effort."

"No," the Conductor said. "I deal in legal indentures. I don't mess with Grisha."

"Lie," the Darkling called out. "I don't need him to tell me. I had a spy. Nina Zenik. Ring any bells?"

The Conductor looked furious. "Nina?"

"Last report we had from her was that she'd be crossing the Fold with the Conductor and four rogues from Ketterdam," said the Darkling. "What their mission was, she didn't know. She was waiting to meet you all. Now, poor Nina...has not been heard from since. Might that have something to do with you, Mr. Visser?"