Chapter Thirty Seven

Depuis le début

"...I...I didn't want..."

"Oh," Sammy said softly as she sat back. "Okay...we can just put that in the happened and never talk about it again drawer then."

"No!" Harriet said quickly as she looked at Sammy, her lips still tingling from the kiss. "I meant...I didn't want Freddy jumping you the way he did Dustin. The kiss on Coronation Day was real, Sammy. I...I just never brought it up because I didn't want you or the twins getting hurt because of me."

"Cap'n, we were going to get hurt regardless," Sammy said, gently taking Harriet's hand. "I'm your First Mate. Not Uma's, not Mal's but your's. Being a Rat was putting a target on my back the minute I stepped off the ship but there's nowhere I'd rather be than by your side."

"Why...why didn't you say anything before now?" Harriet asked.

Sammy brushed a strand of her ash blonde hair out of her eyes. "I...I didn't know if you would want to talk about it."

"Of course I would!"

"Oh so you'd be okay if I'd gone up to you and said 'hey cap'n, remember the day you snogged my brains out?' That'd have gone over well."

"I probably would have jumped out of my skin if you'd brought that up around the crew," Harriet sighed and Sammy gave her a sad smile. That was the point she was trying to make.

To the blonde's surprise though, Harriet chuckled lightly. "You know that wasn't exactly how I imagined my first kiss with you would be like?"

"How...you imagined kissing me?"

"Uh huh," Harriet nodded.

Sammy chuckled slightly, trying to tamp down her nerves at such a thought. "And um...how did you imagine kissing me? If you don't mind me asking, Cap'n?"

"Well," Harriet said, scooting so that she was closer to Sammy. "First I'd brush a strand of your beautiful ash blonde hair from your gorgeous blue eyes since we'd have just finished sparring."

"Of course. It'd be almost scandalous if we were doing anything else," Sammy whispered as her breath hitched; Harriet's thumb gently running over her lips. "And then what?"

Harriet smiled, brushing an errant strand of hair from Sammy's face. It was almost as if the strand had heard the captain's words as it'd fallen while Harriet had been speaking. "I'd hold you against the mast and gently place a kiss on your lips in congratulations since you'd have beaten me in a match."

"Impossible cap'n. You're a Hook after all, you don't get beaten in a sparring match."

"Hey, Smees are pretty skilled with a sword. Not to mention I've trained you, it's entirely possible for you to beat me," Harriet whispered before taking the bull by the horns and placing her lips on Sammy's. The spark of electricity ran through her veins once more and Harriet smiled against Sammy's lips.

Unbeknownst to either girl, Harriet's fingers began to run through Sammy's hair though Sammy's fingers had begun to do the same to Harriet's hair.

"We should probably watch the kids," Sammy whispered as they broke, panting slightly from the lack of oxygen and the spark still running through their veins.

"Henry's got them," Harriet whispered back to her. Normally she wouldn't be so derelict in her duty but she was finally kissing her best mate. Sometimes love was the death of duty but she didn't so much care at that point. "He's not that deep of a sleeper that he'd sleep through one of the kids needing something. Plus we can hear them if it's an emergency."

Sammy chuckled as Harriet rested her forehead on her's. "Never knew you to let your duty slide, cap'n."

"Hey I never dreamed that I'd be able to kiss you again," Harriet sighed. "When...when you said you missed your brothers that day you arrived in Auradon, I thought you'd..."