As they continued walking around, Nicholas ended up letting go of Flora's hand and ran ahead, spotting one of his favorite fruit stands. She called out to him to slow down as she ran after him.

Suddenly, a group of 4 older kids saw Nicholas and pushed him to the ground.

"Nico!"

I saw how hard those guys pushed him down. Flora quickly ran up to Nicholas to help him. I watched as the group approached them, trying to intimidate her. By the looks of it, it was working. They look around my age. Maybe a year or two older.

I could hear and see Nicholas crying out in pain from the scratches he got on his palms and knees.

"We don't want any trouble. Please, leave us be!" Flora pleaded, holding Nicholas close to her.

Before they could surround them, I went up to and stood in front of Flora and Nicholas, preventing the group of guys from getting any closer to them.

"Get out of the way!"

"Yeah, we were just startin' to have fun with him!"

I ignored them. I took out a clean cloth I had in my back pocket and handed it to Flora. After that, I turned around, giving the four guys my full attention. I looked over my shoulder, down at Flora and Nicholas. I nodded at her, then she quickly helped Nicholas up and got away.

Flora had a bad feeling about this. She used the cloth Y/N gave her to put pressure on Nicholas's scrapes.

After they moved out of the way, I looked ahead again, focusing on the bastards in front of me. Soon enough, they all began surrounding me, making me the target.

"Trying to be the hero for a little brat like that?" one of them sneered.

"You know what we do to people who don't mind their business?"

As soon as they said that, I closed my eyes. From behind me, one of them threw a punch. I dodged it, then grabbed their forearm and flipped them, forcefully making their back hit the rocky ground in front of me.

Before I knew it, the other three started trying to attack me.

Flora, Nicholas, and the citizens about watched as Y/N fought the 4 male teenagers. They were able to land a few hits on her, but the damage she sustained was very minimal.

I see an opening. One of them came at full speed towards me and as soon as they got close enough, I punched them across their face. They fell back first onto the ground, out cold.

Since I was so preoccupied with them, I didn't notice one of them stealthily coming up from behind me. They wrapped their arm around my neck, then pulled my hood down, making my hair flow out. I immediately stomped on their foot and elbowed their gut, making them let me go. I then swiftly turned around, clenching my dominant fist tightly, then punched them across their face. They stumbled back, falling hard on the ground, joining his little buddies.

Everyone around was shocked to see the teens' opponent was female. Especially the teens. Although they were much taller and strong in their own right, they were extremely intimidated and aghast because of how she left them. They had many bruises and bumps forming on their faces. Blood was oozing out of their nostrils and they had too many scratches on them to count.

Y/N walked up to them while they were gathered together on the ground. She had an aggressive, yet stoic stare. One that sent strong shivers down their spines.

The teens helped each other up and ran off, not wanting any more trouble. All eyes remained on Y/N as she gathered her hair and put her hood back on.

I turned around, returned to Flora and Nicholas and said, "We should go. He needs to get his scrapes cleaned up." And before the MPs show up. Flora nodded, then I looked down at Nicholas. I don't want him to get any dirt in his scrapes. I knelt down in front of him and gently reached around him, picking him up from the ground and carrying him in my arms. His eyes shined brightly at me as Flora and I walked back. What a strange kid.

When they arrived home, Sandra saw Y/N carrying little Nicholas. She gently set him down on a chair in the living room, then looked at Flora and returned to her room, not saying a word. Flora told Sandra what happened while the others simultaneously asked Nicholas what happened and helping him with his scratches.

Sandra was surprised to hear Y/N had protected them. "She has her own way of showing that she cares," she thought.

...

After that incident, Y/N started being around the other orphans more. She didn't necessarily speak to them, but they enjoyed her company nonetheless. The children eventually found out what Y/N did for Flora and Nicholas, which made them respect her even more.

Now that she was out of her room more often, Y/N decided to be productive. She helped Sandra and the others with some chores, particularly taking interest in cleaning. Her room was always organized and well maintained, but she would help keep most surfaces in the living room, kitchen, and bathrooms clean. Y/N would even help the young ones with their laundry or with reaching for things they needed.

Regarding Leon, he was quite frequently asked about Y/N. Since she was permitted entry with his last name on her citizenship, his fellow soldiers found out about it and wanted to know who she was to him.

He'd always answer the same way: "She's a distant relative."

Despite all of this change, Y/N still remained skeptical of their motives.

...

I was outside, behind the house, watching the children play. Soon, I heard the door open behind me, seeing Miss Sandra standing there.

"Everyone inside. Y/N's visitors are here!" she yelled out. I watched the children run towards the door, entering the house. I got up from the floor, dusted myself off, and waited for them to show up.

When all the children entered the home, out came Hange and Leon. Before I continued with this "training," I need to know...

"Are you ready to start?"

"Cut the crap old man! I want to know why I'm here and I expect answers!"

Hange looked at her father, then at me.

"As soon as you are of age, you are going to join the Scout Regiment. We want to wait until then so you can adapt to this new environment and direct your violent nature to a worthy cause. To Save Humanity."

I looked at them questionably. "Does it look like I care about Humanity? I'm not doing it!" I noticed them slowly approach me. I had a small knife I managed to sneak with me 5 years ago, hidden in my pocket. If they take another step I'll-

"You don't have a choice Y/N," Hange stated. "We were watching over you and recorded the crimes you've committed Underground."

"Unless you want to spend the rest of your life in a prison cell, you'll take the opportunity we're giving you," Leon asserted. Is that why Hange got close to me?! I was being used!

But...now what do I do? I finally made it out of that dark pit and have no intention of returning. I clenched my fists and looked down at the ground for a few moments.

Finally, I sighed, glanced up at them, and said...

"Fine. I accept."