chapter xiv - answers

Start from the beginning

"you won't believe the shit i've been up to. and mila, she's four months old now, she's almost rolling over! god, i wish you could see her, she looks just like you. and mason, he looks just like luke. he's got your attitude though. i still tell him about you, he asks about you all the time."

10 minutes later..

"you know i'd stay longer, but mila's getting fussy and i left her stuff. i love you sar, give lori a kiss for me," i say after standing. a stray tear makes it's way down my face as i make my way back to the truck to get her bag. just as i was about to head to rick's i see carol on her porch.

i walk over to her house and climb the stairs, "hey, carol."

"hey, y/n."

"are you mad at me?"

"no, i just...well maybe a little bit."

"it's okay. you can be mad at me," i sigh, "carol, i didn't have a choice, he made me. he would hurt that little boy and all of you, i just...had to."

"you always have a choice, y/n."

"yes, i did. become his wife or watch you all die. don't tell me you'd do any different."

"yea, i..i guess i get that. but, everyone else is pissed. maggie especially."

"wait, is she here? is she okay?"

"yea, she's right inside. i had to hide her, negan thinks she's dead. it needs to stay that way."

"i won't tell a soul," i say with a smile as i bounce mila up and down.

"come on in," she says as she opens her door.

"maggie?", i call after carol shuts the door. maggie stands up from the couch. "maggie, oh my god. it's you. are you okay?"

she looks at me, anger lingering in her gaze.

"maggie?", my voice cracks.

"you married him? you married the monster who killed my husband? who killed the man who helped you with those crying babies?"

"i didn't have much of a choice, maggie, i would never do it if it didn't get you all killed."

"but you did. you..you saw what he did to glenn and abraham. i thought we were friends and you just...you go off and marry him?!"

"maggie, he was going to kill that little boy and all of you, i had to. believe me, i don't want to be married to him."

"i..i don't understand. what little boy?"

"the other day when we came in the middle of the night, i was sneaking a boy back. he needed surgery and negan was going to let him die because his mother didn't have enough points. i couldn't watch him die, i had to do something. and after the surgery, negan was here. he told me i'd broken multiple rules and i had to marry him if i didn't want you guys hurt. i had to maggie. i had to."

"that sounds like something you'd do," she says as she sits back down.

"are you mad at me?"

"not anymore, but i am going to kill him. maybe not today or tomorrow, but someday i'm going to kill him," she calms herself, "just come sit down. we have got a lot of catching up to do," she says with a friendly smile.

"i don't blame you. anyways, how's our baby doing?"

"he's good."

"it's a 'he'? oh my gosh, maggie, i thought for sure you'd have a girl."

"i did too, how's my girl doing?" she says smiling at mila. mila reaches out for her and she takes her.

"she's good, she's four months now."