chapter x - points

two days later...

nothing interesting has happened yet, i was starting to become less worried about what kaden said and less paranoid. i wasn't completely healed, but i don't ever see that happening. i never was.

"doctor," carson calls, "hey, y/n, you there?"

"yea, sorry."

"am i really that boring?" he chuckles.

"no, i'm just a little off but what were you saying?"

"karina, she needs to get this medication, but," he trails off.

"what?"

"she hasn't done enough work around here to have enough points for these, but she needs these. her blood sugar is going to bottom out."

"what do you mean points?"

"it's the currency around here, work equals points and points pay for everything."

"what does karina do?"

"she's a trainer, but she hasn't been showing up from what i hear. she was supposed to get these a two days ago."

"we need to talk to her, something's gotta be wrong, how about we go after work?"

"sure."

a couple of hours later

shutting the door behind me, carson and i head to see karina. "here we are," he says walking into what looks like an empty gym, mattresses lining the walls, few with blankets. people lingered by, some elderly, some children. they all looked like they needed a bath, some food, water, and a doctor.

i spot one boy who looks deathly sick as his mother holds him, brushing his hair behind his ears.

"that's her," carson says pointing to the woman i had just seen.

"holy shit, carson, is that her kid?"

"yea, that's luke."

i jog over, "are you okay? is he okay?"

"who are you?" the woman asks.

"i'm a doctor, what's wrong with him?"

"we don't have enough points for a doctor."

"i don't care, i'll deal with negan. we need to take care of you two first, follow me okay?"

she picks the boy's limp body up, "thank you," she mumbles.

"of course, let's go." we swiftly make our way to the door but carson stops me.

he grabs my shoulder, "y/n, we can't. she doesn't have any points, negan won't allow this."

"negan can kiss my ass. we don't let the living die, not where i come from. or do you not remember your vows?" i spit before ripping my arm out of his grasp, "let's go."

we sneak our way to the clinic, carson on our trails, "doctor l/n, this is- you can't do this!"

"put him on the table," i instruct her and then turn to carson, "look at him, carson. look at him! then you tell his mother we're going to let him die because you're too scared of what might happen. didn't think you could, now, this boy will die without our attention. are you gonna be a doctor and help or be a little bitch?"

"i-i can't," he says before rushing out. i turn back to the patient, i don't need carson, i can do this.

"how long has he been like this?"

"two days. he complained about his stomach hurting and today he just - he blacked out. i tried to bring him in but they denied him. i- please don't let me lose my little boy."