chapter xi - home

tw: gore, surgery details, etc

it was about twenty minutes at full speed 'til we reached alexandria's gates. home.

i knew they were probably behind us, but if i could just get him into surgery, they couldn't stop me until i was done.

i quickly open the truck door, "sasha, it's me! it's y/n! let us in!"

once we get inside, multiple people run towards us, probably wondering how the hell i got back, "karina, get mason and mila, i'm taking him straight to surgery."

"wait, what?"

"karina, i told you this. he has appendicitis, he needs surgery now. it's a simple procedure i've done many times."

"not in a zombie apocalypse," karina says.

"there are always risks. either we do this surgery and he might live or we don't and he will die."

"fine, j-just take care of my baby," she cries.

"i will," i reply taking him from her. i'm jogging to the clinic, i'd run but i don't want to drop him. rick catches up to me.

"what the hell happened, y/n? how are you here?"

"i snuck out, this boy," i open the door, "needs surgery. negan was going to let him die. i can't explain it now. if they come, don't fight them. let them in, they can't stop me in surgery. tell them i forced you to let me in, i held a gun to your head or something. but please let me save him, rick."

"yea, okay, go, go," he says as i place luke on the operating table. the room we had for surgery was in the back. it had hardly been used but when we found a medical tent, i knew we'd need this stuff eventually. hopefully, the saviors didn't take all of my stuff.

"where am i?" i hear luke ask.

"hi luke, i'm doctor y/n. but you can call me y/n. you seem to have a problem in your tummy and i'm going to make it all better. you'll take a nap and wake up feeling much better i promise."

"where's mommy?" he asks frantically just as the door bursts open. it's karina. "mommy! mommy, what's going on?"

"y/n, they're here," she says with tears in her eyes.

"shit. come here, hold his hand. distract him so i can put him to sleep," i turn to luke, "i know this won't be too fun but i've got to give you a shot. can you be brave for me?"

his mother smooths his hair, "it'll be okay, luke." with that he turns and looks at me shaking his head up and down.

"okay, 1, 2, 3," i say as i stick his little arm with the shot. once he's passed out i look up at karina, "i need you out of here, do not let them in here, they can look through the window but it needs to stay as sterile as possible."

"okay, i love you my lucas," she says as she backs out. i can't completely scrub in but i do as much as i can. i throw on scrubs, put my hair in a purple scrub cap, and put gloves and a mask on after washing my hands thoroughly. once i cut open his shirt, i sterilize the field and get my tools ready. usually, we could do this laparoscopically, but i don't have those tools so i'll have to do it the old way.

just as i cut his abdomen open i hear banging on the window, it's a very angry negan. i flip him off through my bloody glove.

an hour later i'm removing his appendix. i probably could have done this quicker with an assist but it's the middle of the night and no one here is skilled enough to do this. once i stitch his lower stomach, i place a bandage over it. i then inject him with antibiotics and some pain medicine. hopefully, he wasn't allergic to this.