chapter xiv - answers

i was giddy the whole ride, a smile graced my features as we drove to alexandria.

"someone's happy."

"can you drive faster?" i ask.

he chuckles, "nah, how about we go slower."

"no, no, faster."

"you're like a little kid, did you miss them that much?"

"yea, they're my family. of course i missed them."

"hate to break it to you, but i'm your family now, you're my wife."

"yea, whatever you say," i give in hoping he'll drive faster.

"sit back and stop bouncing around, you're going to get hurt."

"yes, father," i say sitting back.

"jokes on you, i like you calling me that."

"dirty old bastard."

"i'm not old. i am a dirty bastard, however, but not old," he complains.

"you have grey hairs, you are old," i say as i look back at the sleeping children.

"that does not make me old."

"eh," i say shaking my hand, "how old are you anyway?"

"21."

"don't lie."

"i'm not tellin' you, then you'll really think i'm old. how old are you?"

"26."

"damn, you are old."

"am not."

he continues his playful banter all the way to alexandria. wow, it's a surprise we're getting along this long. when i see the gates, i perk up. hopefully rick and carl will actually want to see me.

mason groans in the backseat, he'll be groggy but at least he's up.

"cawl?", he asks as he rubs his eyes.

"let's go see him, bud," i say.

negan opens his door, standing on the edge of the truck, "you gonna let me in prick?"

rick climbs up the guard tower and once he sees who's there, he opens the gate. when we park, negan gets mason while i get mila, who's still sleeping.

rick meets us at the gate, a stern look on his face. "what are you doing here? we still have a few days before our next delivery."

"your nephew wanted to see you. smile prick, they aren't dead," negan says as he puts an impatient mason on the ground.

"uncle wick!" mason says as he runs to his legs.

"hey little man," rick says as he leans down and picks him up, "judith misses you, do you wanna go see her?"

"judy!" he shouts as they turn and head to rick's house.

instead of following them, i go to see sarah. i used to see her all the time, i'd talk to her and tell her all about her kids.

"where you goin'?"

"to see sarah," i say as i walk off.

"who the hell is sarah?" he says as he catches up to me.

"my sister, mason and mila's mom."

"oh," he says with a regretful look on his face.

i walk up to her grave and sit beside it, dusting off her headstone.

"hey sar, sorry it's been so long. kinda been busy, can you say hey to lori for me?" i say. negan watches me before walking off, presumably going to rick's house.