I Heard I'm On The Breakfast Menu

Start from the beginning

The windows rolled down and he smiled at me.

"Bunny, you want me to push the swing or you're heading back home?"

I smiled back and walked to his car, getting in the passenger seat.

"Home it is," he said, turning towards the highway.

"So, how was it?" Bryce asked in anticipation.

"Uh, it was great. She told me about my parents, how they met. They were amazing people," I said softly, and Bryce laughed.

"Duh, they were amazing. I remember this once I dropped my ice cream cone on the floor while you were chasing me, but none of our parents noticed, and I thought you'd get in trouble if I tell anyone. So I kept quiet, but I was really sad about the ice cream. Uncle Victor handed me a new one and patted my head saying 'I gotchu kiddo'," Bryce chuckled at his memory.

I smiled, wanting to cry, my heart aching, because of what I heard, and also because I wish my parents were here. They would protect me; they would make it easier. They would never let this happen.

"I'm really sorry, Valentina. As a kid I always used to wish that I could bring them back for you. I knew that wherever you are, you're extremely sad that you lost them. I realized I can't do that, but I'm always here for you. Now that I've found you, always, I mean it," Bryce flashed me a warm smile, his blue eyes turning a deeper shade, sincerity reflecting in them.

"Thank you, Bryce. That means a lot, more than you know," I replied.

"Can I ask you something, it might be a bit intrusive," I said, and he chuckled.

"Shoot, Val."

"What have you thought about marriage?"

"Woah, where'd that come from?"

"Nothing, just wondering."

"Did my mother say something? Damn, I told her not to mention all of that," he mumbled the last part to himself, frowning.

"Mention what?"

"Uh-well, my entire life I was always told that when I'm older I'll be marrying um-well, you," he sheepishly replied, and I was taken aback. 

This is crazier that I apprehended. The threat must be dangerous than ever, for Fiona to go against what she wanted and prepare Bryce for something like that.

"I guess it's something our parents wanted, but I never really thought about it that much. I just wanted to find you since I missed you. You were my only friend when I was young. I kind of had a stutter and the other kids in my class bullied me because of that," he explained, and my heart melted. 

Seriously, how I wish I can remember my best friend. He seems like an awesome person.

"I mean, I'd love to marry my best friend, don't get me wrong," Bryce replied and something intense flashed across his eyes, which made me freeze.

"But, when I saw you with Xavier the other day, it looked like it was meant to be. The way he looks at you, it's obvious he loves you, Val."

My soul, which was already shattered, felt like it had been trampled on all over, again and again.

"I know, I love him too," I sighed softly, looking out the window.

"You're happy, and I'm happy for you. So, it really doesn't matter what the past was like," Bryce smiled, tapping my cheek with his finger playfully.