1- Prologue

Hi. I'm Mikayla. You're probably wondering why I'm talking to you of all people, the reader.

Well...4 years ago, my life changed, in the best and worst way possible. You see, I spent 16 out of my 20 years on this earth, not knowing who my father was. My mother described him as a deadbeat guy who never cared for responsibility...and...she was wrong. But enough from me. It's time for you to experience my story.

Let's rewind the clock all the way back to 4 years ago.

This is...Danger Is Destiny.
———
ME (Mikayla)
"Ugh! Mom! Stop doing this! You always pick us up and move! We've lived in 6 different cities and that's only in the past 2 years!" I picked up my last box, throwing it into the moving truck.

"Well sweetie...if your deadbeat father had 2 braincells, he would've remembered to pay for child support." My mom replied with sass.

My mom hated my father after he left. I have never known what he looks like or who he is since mom burned all photos of him 4 months after I was born.

As you can probably tell, my mom has an attitude.

"Just get in the truck and keep quiet." My mom hissed at me.

After my dad left, my mom became an alcoholic, only stopping when I became older.

We spent hours in the moving truck. I had no idea where my mom planned to move us since she liked to keep things from me.

"Welcome to Swellview...population...3000." I read the sign out loud, having been bored for the past 4 hours.

"Stop complaining Mikki. When we move into our new house, I expect you to have at least one friend within the next 48 hours." My mom instructed, knowing it was going to be hard for me.

"Mom! You know making friends takes time, but in your case...forever." I smirked as she hit me with a rolled up newspaper she had been reading at lunch.

"Don't use that attitude with me missy." She hissed at me.

"Don't call me Mikki and I won't have an attitude..." I retorted. I hated the nickname Mikki. It sounded so childish. Once my ex-friend Becky started calling me that, I refused to go to school.

"We're here!" She parked the truck in the driveway, letting me soak in the view of the house. We were one house away from being on the corner of the street.

I noticed someone in the house next door, maybe two people. A boy and a girl. The boy had dirty blonde hair and wore a red flannel shirt, while the girl wore a pink shirt and had black hair. She was darker skinned than the boy and it seemed as if she was trying to stop him from doing something.

I walked inside the new house, seeing how spacious it was. I had only ever lived in apartments, so this was my first time living in an actual house. This time, it was double storey. I walked up the stairs and walked into the first room. I was excited. Nothing was in it, just an empty room with a window that could easily be used to sneak out at night. I would never sneak out, but I always imagined rebelling against my mom and sneaking out to a party or something like that.

As I opened the window to let in some air, the boy noticed me, our eyes making contact. He opened his window, peering out.

"Hey. You must be the new neighbour." He smiled.

"Is it that obvious?" I smirked.

"I'm Henry...Henry Hart." He smiled more.

"I'm Mikayla...Mikayla Daniels." I introduced myself.

"Cool! Hey...if you wanna hang out sometime, I know some friends who might be interested?" I smiled at his request.

"Sure? How about tomorrow? After school?" I suggested.

"Cool! See you then Mikayla." He went back inside and closed his window as I did the same.

Did I just make a friend within 15 minutes of moving into my new house?

"Mikki! Time for an afternoon snack!" My mom shouted from downstairs.

"STOP CALLING ME MIKKI!" I shouted, racing downstairs to go and enjoy one of my mom's amazing jam scrolls.

Ever since I was little, my mom would make little jam scrolls as a 'sorry for making you move' apology. I usually accepted, but I just wanted to enjoy the scroll and think about the encounter I was going to have with Henry and his friends tomorrow.