I'm Sorry I Couldn't Save You

Mulai dari awal

"For your parents, and for everything that happened after they were gone," she said slowly, and I looked up at her, confusion on my features. What?

"I know, Valentina. I know what that monster of a man did to you, all these years. I'm sorry I couldn't save you," she said, her eyes piercing through my soul as I was speechless.

"H-how do you-how?" I could barely make sense with my words.

"Valentina. What I'm about to tell you, is very important. It cannot leave this room. Do you understand?"

I shook my head slowly and she took a deep breath.

"My husband was a very stubborn man, Valentina. And sometimes, when he decided on something, he would do anything to get it. I mean, anything," she said, in almost audible whispers.

"When Bryce and you were young, Harold proposed marriage between you two when you grow up. All of us were delighted at the idea at first. But your parents said that just because you both are best friends, we shouldn't force a relationship on you. It should be your decisions when you both grow up. Harold didn't seem to like that they didn't immediately obey his command. He promised that Bryce would marry you, no matter what. This is why, according to his will, Bryce can only inherit the company when he marries you. I haven't told him that, but our attorney told him that he has to be 26 when he takes over, and he turned 26 this year, which is why I insisted on looking for you immediately."

My head begun to ache slightly, but I ignored it.

"There has to be a solution to that. I can't marry Bryce, I'm in a very happy relationship. I love this man, Fiona," I said, and her face went pale at my statement.

"I know. I know you're in a relationship. But hear me out before making any decisions. When your parents passed away, naturally I said you will stay with us, because you were already our family. But Harold found out about your uncle, an alcoholic, abusive man, and decided to hand you to him. He wanted to make sure you lead a miserable life, and when Bryce was old enough, he planned on saving you from your uncle's place and pretending he knew nothing about what you were going through. He would help you, provide you support, and you would be indebted to him, enough to marry Bryce if he commanded you."

"How could he? B-but, Bryce told me his father passed away a year after my parents. Why didn't you take me away then, if you knew?"

"Valentina. Listen to me carefully. My husband was a very powerful and dangerous man. He climbed the wrong path to money, and no one knows about it except me. Your parents had no idea about the person Harold had become. Even after his death, there are people assigned to this house, to keep watch on both Bryce and me. Right before he died, he showed me proof, that if I went ahead to help you, he would make sure I didn't survive. I had a son to look after, Valentina. I couldn't muster the courage to challenge Harold and his people."

"I-I have to go. I need to talk to Xavier. I can't breathe," I said, standing up, but Fiona grabbed my wrists.

"No! Please, he cannot know. Valentina, you've been found. The men my husband hired have already made Xavier their target. You need to understand, if you do not marry Bryce and choose to stay with your boyfriend, they will kill him. And even after that if you do not marry my son, they will make sure Bryce and I suffer for the rest of our lives. Y-you have to help us, please," she pleaded, her lips quivering in fear. The ache in my head increased to the point of explosion. I felt like my world was shattering, falling apart.

"I have proof, Valentina. Look," she grabbed her phone and scrolled through to texts from a private number. Someone sent her a picture of Xavier and I entering our building, and the picture was zoomed in on Xavier. But the text message underneath the picture is what hurt my soul directly .

'Either she leaves him, or we get rid of him. The choice is hers.'

"I know this is a lot. It's a whole lot to take in, but I had to tell you. I can't let an innocent man die for the things my husband has done. I can't let you suffer."

"W-what do I do?" I asked her, my body immobilized, tears clouding my vision.

"Valentina. If you truly love this man, protect his life. You have to leave him to protect him. You can't tell him anything. If he makes a move to save you, he'll be gone before you know it. I promise you'll be happy with Bryce. Don't involve the man you love into this. If you leave him, he will be heartbroken, but at least he can move on and live a good life. Think about it, but think fast, Valentina. Please, we don't have much time."

I collapsed onto the sofa, my mind a whirlpool of emotions, and Fiona sobbed as she clutched the sofa.

"It didn't have to be this way, Harold. Why did you make it this way," she murmured between her sobs.

In order to protect the man I love; I have to let him go.

But how am I supposed to live without him? 

How can I ask him to return the heart I gave to him, without telling him that I have to do this to protect him?

Xavier, he will hate me forever. 

A/N: *hides behind sofa* 

The gif explained, this is a heartbreaking chapter, and Dean crying is quite heartbreaking for me. 

But yayyy because two back to back updates? *nervous laugh*