I'm Sorry I Couldn't Save You

Start from the beginning

"Woah, you're Bryce Maximillian? That's so cool."

"Cool?" He raised an eyebrow.

"Yeah, my best friend is famous," I replied, and we both laughed.

We continued to talk about hobbies and other things, and soon he pulled up into the driveway of a beautiful house, one just like Xavier's mansion.

"You go ahead, Val. I've some work to catch up on. I'll be here in an hour or so, and I'll drop you home."

"I'm kinda nervous," I said, biting my lip.

"Don't be. She knows you since you were born. Have fun, Bunny," Bryce smiled and tapped my cheek with his thumb, making me smile as I got out of the car. 

He drove away as the doors opened, leading me inside a very posh interior of deep red velvet carpeting.

"Is tea ready yet? She'll be here any second," a tall woman stood in the middle of the foyer directing the staff with her back to me.

"Madam," one of the butlers I think, addressed me and the woman turned towards me, her expression a mixture of disbelief and adoration.

"Oh my, Valentina, dear, it's really you," she whispered, walking towards me and holding my shoulder gently.

"Darling, you look exactly like Valerie, it seems like my best friend is standing right here in front of me," the woman said, her eyes watering up.

"I-thank you," I replied, and she pulled me into a hug. I hugged her back and it felt like a sense of belonging, of family.

"I'm Fiona, dear. Bryce's mother," she said, clasping my hand as she led me to the living room. Tea was served on the table and the doors were closed.

"After all these years, how have you been, sweetheart?"

"I'm doing good, Fiona. I have a job now actually," I replied, and she smiled.

"Bryce and I were so worried when we couldn't find you."

"I'm so sorry I don't remember any of you. Really, I wish I could," I said, biting my lip in guilt.

"Oh honey, it's alright. You were a baby then," Fiona smiled.

"I hope I'm not asking too much, but can you please tell me about my parents? I would love to know more about them," I pleaded, and she chuckled, memories seemingly flashing before her eyes.

"Valerie and I have been best friends since childhood. We were inseparable. She looked exactly like you, and she was innocent, soft-spoken and the sweetest person I've ever known. She loved people with all her heart, and always saw the good in everyone. When I got married to Harold, she met your father, Victor, at our wedding ceremony. He was Harold's best man. Basically, a pair of best friends married another pair of best friends. Victor was very reserved, in fact, I think Valerie was the first woman I ever saw him interested in. He immediately decided that he wanted to marry her, and Harold and I were surprised by how much the man loved her after just one meeting. He was possessive of her, and he protected her against everything they faced. He was a good man, your father. They decided to travel the world for a while before having a child, but when they had you, it was like their entire world was only you. They were the best parents, Valentina. Even though you don't remember them, I want you to know, that they loved you more than anything in this world. Sometimes, I still can't believe they're gone," Fiona's voice trailed off at the end, and she looked towards the piano mantle with their pictures on it, tears rolling down her face. 

It took me a while to realize that my own tears laced my cheeks. My parents were the most wonderful people ever.

"I'm so sorry, dear," Fiona whispered, and I shook my head.