Hunter & Soldier

The forest had begun to bloom. The bright vibrant colours of spring had chased off the winter gloom. From where she sat, gazing out her front window with tea in hand, Frin could see the birds darting in between the trees. The early morning sun shone down through the foliage as beams of orange light illuminated the subtle colours of their feathers.

In the clear glass, she caught a glimpse of herself. The woman she saw was familiar with a face of contentment. Her dark hair was pulled behind her head in a tight braid. The leather armour which once had been clean and new, was worn. The person she saw in the morning light was different than her younger self would have expected but she wasn't disappointed by it.

A knock at her door caught her attention. She didn't get many visitors to her home, being a half day's walk from Bree. When they did come they were only usually a select few friends. When she opened the old wooden door, she was greeted by one of those few. Nowles stook smiling at her with a few packages under his arms. His grey hair fell to his shoulders slightly contrasting the white of his curly beard. His brown eyes shone brightly down at her. Behind him on the path stood his old grey mare, casually nibbling at the new grass.

"Care for a visitor?" He beamed at her.

"Aways." Frin smiled back up at him.

"I brought your order from the shop," he placed the packages on the table, "a letter came for you two days ago." In his hand was a small piece of folded parchment.

Immediately she was curious. She didn't receive many letters. "Leave it with the rest." She shrugged off the curiosity. At that moment she wanted to be present with her dear friend. "Come sit," she gestured towards one of the large armchairs she had bought for her larger friends. With a pleasant nod, he slid into the chair's comfortable cushions.

"I remember when you bought this thing." He patted the arm of the chair. "It was a pain to lug out here."

Frin let out a hearty laugh. "We lost the cushion four times."

Nowles laughed with her. "That was many years ago. I was a younger man."

"Yes you were."

"You know it's cruel to sit here, unaging while I grow old." He cocked an eyebrow at her.

"I apologize." Frin gave him a sarcastic look. "From now on I will try my best to age faster." They both laughed lightly together.

"How is Emel?" Frin asked after handing him a cup of tea.

"She just had her second child," he smiled into his mug.

"A grandfather twice over."

"Yes," his eyes met hers, the joy clear in them. "It's wonderful but I feel old."

"I share that sentiment."

"Well I look and feel old." He smirked at her. "You're only old because you live longer. Compared to me you are still a young woman."

"Young and old." She gave him a lopsided grin, "what a dichotomy."

Nowles stayed with her until the sun started to grow stale in the sky, casually filling her in on the town gossip. She hadn't seen him in a few months, not since the weather turned cold. The tavern kept him busy along with all the new grandchildren. The blacksmith's daughter married the grocer's son and were expecting their first child. Some hobbits had ventured from the Shire a few weeks previous and had quite the party at the Prancing Pony.

"Honestly, I was thinking the smaller the people the bigger the mess." He laughed merrily causing Frin to join in.

"You better not be referring to me." He joked at him.