Despair

"Do you think she'll leave?" Her father's voice was hushed as he spoke to his wife.

"I do not know my dear." Her mother answered, the sadness clear in her tone. "Her heart is broken and being here has become painful."

"Perhaps we shall all go." He reasoned. "Tensions have been high since Thranduil left. I passed on Thorin's message but I doubt he believed it." There was a pause. "With tensions being as high as they are perhaps we should all leave."

"Where will we go?" Her mother whispered. There was a long pause.

Frin stood, barefoot and silent outside of her parent's chambers. It had been nearly two weeks since the elven party had left. Since then, Frin had resigned her post as Thorin's protector. In the beginning she had tried to stay by him, but his bride became ever present. A few days into their open courtship she decided to leave.

Balin had welcomed her back into the guard, giving her a shared post with Dova. She would never forget the sadness in his eyes when she approached his desk. He knew, but he'd always known. Despite the change of scenery she couldn't escape the pain which clutched her chest. The constant feeling of pressure, knowing Thorin was just out of reach.

It was still there, even as she listened into her parent's conversation.

From around the corner she heard her father clear his throat. "Rivendell."

"Rivendell?" Her mother questioned.

"Yes." He sighed. "Lord Elrond is kind and his house is often welcome to all. He did say we are always welcome. The elves there have no stakes in this conflict and will not judge us."

"We have sought help from him before. You're right." There was the slight shuffle of fabric. "When should we leave."

"At the end of the week. I will go speak with Frin, then I'll prepare for our journey tomorrow. In a few days we will be on our way." Heavy boots crossed the stone floor.

"No." Her mother spoke. "I will speak with her."

After hearing her mother's words, Frin gingerly rushed to her room. She sat on the side of her bed and waited for her mother to enter. A few moments after she sat, her mother's familiar silhouette filled her doorway.

"Oh my love." She whispered crossing the room approaching her. The elegant elf knelt before her. "What has become of you?"

Frin knew the question wasn't meant to be answered. Like Balin, her mother had known. She'd seen her withdraw into herself and become silent. Over the past week, she had been thankful for the lack of questions, the known understanding but now her mothers face gazing into her, she felt completely undone. The composure she maintained threatened to break.

"I'm sorry." Her throat choked on the word. "Mother you warned me but I...." A steady stream of tears ran down her face. The tears she refused to release.

"Hush." A soft hand whipped away her tears. "You need to get away, to heal."

Frin didn't have the strength to fight her, knowing leaving Erebor was probably best. She gave a slight nod.

"We will go to Rivendell." Her mother's hand stroked her hair. "You will learn so much there. Lord Elrond will teach you the ways of elven medicine. You will know more of the world and become a greater warrior." Frin allowed her eyes to close, leaning into her mother's hand. Her soft words washed over her, telling her of Rivendell. She wasn't sure how it happened but she was quickly asleep.

When she awoke the following morning she was still wearing her clothes but tucked in and comfortable. A small smile graced her face as she realised her mother had laid her in her bed and covered her with a blanket. She was quietly thankful for her family.