Food

Frin awoke to Balin's hand on her shoulder. Through heavy eyelids she could vaguely make out the small piece of bread he held out to her. "Here." He said beckoning both her eyes and body.

"Is this it." She asked him quietly as he sat beside her with his own small meal. The small morsel looked small in her hands.

"Yes."

"Is everyone getting this much?"

"Yes." He sighed. "Even then, we'll run out in a day."

Nibbling on the bread, her mind wandered to the mother and children she'd escaped the mountain with. The amount of food she now ate wasn't enough to nourish one of those children. She imagined their small bodies, pleading with their mother for more food. The mother would go hungry for her children. She wouldn't be the only one.

Instantly climbing to her feet, Frin glanced in the direction of the forest, throwing the rest of the bread in her mouth. They needed food and she was going to get it. After readjusting her belt and dusting the dirt off her armour she turned to leave.

"Were you going Lass?" Dwalin demanded.

"Hunting." She stated, noticing everyone around the fire was staring at her. "We need food and I will find us some." Placing a hand on her sword she sighed. "You wouldn't happen to have a bow?"

"No." Both brothers shook their heads.

"I'll manage." She shrugged.

"Good luck." Balin smiled.

Before quickly leaving, Frin glanced around unsure if any of the royal family were present. Seeing that they were all still hidden behind the fabric of the tent, Frin gave Balin and Dwalin a nod.

Without another look she strode forward keeping a brisk pace until the sounds of the encampment were gone. Once again she was alone in the open wilderness. As she moved along the vast landscape, her mind began to plague her. The loss she endured was great, friends and family. The idea of home was also permanently gone. Her heart felt crippled, as though one more beat would be it's last. There was a part of her that wanted to give up.

The instinct to run away filled her. Maybe if she ran hard enough she could escape the pain which lingered in her chest and prevent further heartbreak. She knew it was foolish. Fleeing would not erase her memories or her pain. With one foot in front of the other she would have to move forward.

The distant forest was now nearing. The sharp edges of the trees could be seen against the light sky. Over her shoulder she could see nothing but open land and rolling hills. What remained of Erebor and it's people seemed to have vanished. The loneliness started to creep in, but she refused to acknowledge it.

She told herself that she was well ahead of the dwarves. The distance would allow her to stalk game easily increasing her chances to feed the starving people. Furrowing her brow, she strode toward the trees, determined to do something helpful.

To the left of her, slightly to the North was an opening in the treeline, a slightly darker shadow along the forest wall. Suspecting it was the main road she ventured forward. As she neared, her suspicions were confirmed. The well worn road wound across the open landscape meeting with the forest. This was where the people would come through. The easy path would allow them to travel quicker and easier.

Frin, however, elected to stay in the trees, while still following the road from the hidden depths of the forest. Silently she crept forward waiting to see any movement. After a few hours of silent stalking she spotted a deer amongst some brush. It's brown coat blended in with the natural colours around it, but the whites of its eyes shone in the light drawing Frin's eye.