Bonus Chapter 8:Z

"So, Austin is almost here." Seren told me, and I knew by the way she was looking at me that she was nervous for my reaction.

"Why?" I asked her, trying my best to control my tone, and hide my disappointment. I wasn't ready to share her.

It's been three days since we were at the cliffs. Three days since she told me both one of the best and one of the worst things I've ever heard. That she loved me, and that she had almost killed herself.

It's been three days of tears, and nights spent talking until the sun rose. It's been three days of kissing, of holding hands and staring into each other's eyes. It's been three of the best days of my life.

And of course, during those three days she's told me about Austin. She's told me about the way he's been there for her. She's told me about the ways he's helped her. He's listened to her, he's kept her strong.

And I'm glad, I'm so glad she had someone who was there for her.

But there's a part of me that doesn't trust him. I've heard what he does, after all. I've heard the stories, like we all have. I don't trust him with Seren.

"He's important to me." Seren told me, her lips beginning to turn downwards. "And you're important to me. So I want you to be friends."

"I don't think we'll be friends." I told her, but the hurt look in her eyes had me changing my answer. "But, fine. I'll try."

"You will?" Seren asked me, those sad lips turning into a beautiful smile.

"Anything for you. You know that." I leaned into her, laying my fingers against her chin and pulling her face to mine. Our lips were about to touch, when a knock on the door interrupted us.

"Seren, babe!" Austin shouted, clearly not waiting for anyone to answer the door as he walked right into Seren's house. I felt my eyebrows narrow at his choice of nicknames.

"Austin!" Seren jumped up from the couch, and she ran towards him. She looped her arms around his waist, and he instantly returned her hug. They stayed in their embrace for only a second before they each pulled away, and Austin rubbed his hand over her hair.

"Zane?" Austin's face fell as he saw me, his arms fell to his sides. I wasn't sure what to do next, but as if to answer my unspoken question, Austin's face broke into a huge smile.

"I've been waiting for this, man. You won't believe how many hours I've spent having to listen to this one agonizing over whether she should call you or not." Austin pointed over to Seren as he spoke, who buried her face in her hands.

"Seren! I need you!" Seren's dad called from the upstairs of the house, causing us all to look over at the stairwell. Seren only muttered out a brief string of curse words before she turned and ran up said stairs, leaving Austin and I in an awkward silence.

"So," Austin started, before he took a seat on the chair across from me. "I'm glad you two worked things out."

"Yeah," I said, titling my head at him in curiousity. "How much did she tell you about me?"

"Everything." Austin chuckled, shaking his head. "She talked about you a lot. Well, not the first couple of weeks. It took her a little bit to really open up to me, but when she did, she never shut up."

"Really?" I muttered, suddenly feeling slightly jealous. I knew I couldn't be upset about Seren confiding in someone that wasn't me, but it still left a bitter taste in my mouth.

"Yeah." Austin answered, before hesitantly continuing. "I know what you're thinking."

I raised my eyebrow at him, urging him to continue.

"I don't feel that way about her." Austin said, staring me straight in the eye. "I know everyone assumes I do. Hell, even my friends didn't believe me when I told them that Seren and I were just friends, but it's the truth. It's always been just friendship between the two of us."

"That's what Seren told me too." I told him, watching as facial expression didn't change. "I had trouble believing it at first, because, well..."

"Because of what she looks like." Austin finished for me, "I mean, don't get me wrong. I see what she looks like. And while I could appreciate it, I've never desired her. She's always been like a sister."

I nodded. I couldn't help but feel like Austin was trying to convince me with his words, to make sure I believed what he was saying. I believed Seren when she said they were just friends, but that didn't mean I trusted Austin. I trusted her, even if I didn't trust anyone else with her. How could I, after what has happened?

"She doesn't know, does she?" I asked him, disregarding what he was saying earlier. I wanted to know the answer to this question, and I've wanted to know it since I found out they were friends.

Austin's face took an expression of shock, then guilt. I already knew the answer before he said any words. "No. And she won't."

I sighed, leaning back against the couch, "she's not going to be happy."

"She'll never know. I'll never drag her into it." Austin muttered.

"You might not have a choice." I reminded him.

AN: I can't believe no one asked for the first interaction between Austin and Zane.

Also, yes this in an introduction to Austin's book, which is called Trust Me and you can find it on my profile. Seren and Zane will not be main characters, but they will pop up!