56

AN this is a double update so make sure you've read 55 first

Zane answered on the first ring.

I knew he was there.

So why wasn't he saying anything?

"Zane?" I asked again.

I could hear his breathing. I matched my own to his rhythm as I waited. I had expected hesitancy. But, just because I expected it... it doesn't mean it didn't hurt.

"Seren." He said finally. But his voice was flat.

"Hi." I whispered, partly in relief that he had said something without hanging up.

"How are you?" I asked when Zane didn't answer.

"I'm good."

"I'm glad." I said quickly. I was, after all. I was glad he was good. It's all I hoped for. Zane deserved it, if anyone in this dark and twisted story deserved happiness, it was him.

"Is there a reason you called me?" Zane asked me.

My breath hitched at the bluntness of his words. I began to realize I had taken for granted the way Zane had always treated me. The way he always spoke to me, like I worth his attention. Like he was always happy to speak to me. Like I was never bothering him with my neediness.

"I want to see you." I said quickly, almost as if I was trying not to think about the words before I said them.

Zane didn't answer, and the silence made my pulse quicken. What if he said no? He had every right to. He should say no, after the way I've treated him. I couldn't blame him for it. I couldn't hold it against him. Even if he decided to never speak to me again, I would always be grateful for him. I would always recognize the sacrifices he made for me, all the times when he sacrificed his own peace and happiness for mine.

"Okay." Zane said finally. He didn't say no. "When?"

"Tomorrow?" I didn't miss the way my voice sounded, like a school girl asking their crush to see a movie. I wished it could be today. I wished it could be right now. But, I wanted time. Time with Zane. Just in case. I wanted the option.

"Alright. I'll pick you up." Zane said briskly.

By the time I opened my mouth to answer, he had already hung up.

I stared at my phone as I pulled it away from my face. I don't know what I was looking for, I don't know what kept my eyes glued to the now blank screen. Maybe I was questioning if short phone call had really happened, unlike the many times I had daydreamed about doing it in the last few weeks.

A loud honk finally pulled my attention elsewhere, to Austin's car, which was waiting now in front of me. Haphazardly pulled over on the side of the busy street. I could hear the thumping of the music Austin was playing, his head bobbing to it.

"What happened?" Austin asked me as I slid into his car. He must have noticed my far away expression.

"I called him." I said as I pulled the seatbelt over my body, clicking it into place.

"You did?" Austin's eyes grew wide. "So... then what's the face for?"

"He didn't seem very excited to talk to me." I shrugged. Like I said, it made sense.

"Oh, babe. I'm sorry." Austin patted me on my leg before pulling into the city traffic.

I didn't feel like talking as Austin drove me home. It looked like he did, however, judging by the glances he was shooting in my direction. I kept my face pointing away from him, staring out of the window instead. Watching as we quickly passed by the city, before it turned into the calmness of the suburbs.