Chapter 2 : The Ball

Rayna

As I stepped out to the garden, I found myself aimlessly wandering in the maze of the rose bushes as I thought about my future engagement. Of course everyone wanted me to wed the heir of Hinyst so there was a chance that we could form a powerful country, so that pressure is already on my shoulders.

Alarik Feyer, that was the prince's name. A lovely name to suit a lovely face, but what if he is a dirty conniving snob? My father says they're all like that, but he is so judgmental sometimes that I'm not sure if I should trust him. They might not enforce their rules as much as we do, but that doesn't mean that it is a terrible country.

I plucked a rose from one of the bushes, minding the thorns as I twirled it around in my fingers, staring into the petals as a heavy sigh escaped my lips. In all of the novels I have read, in every movie that I watched, the woman falls in love and marries that man. What if I get stuck in a marriage I don't want to be a part of? The deadline is in three months, how am I to fall in love with a man in such little time?

"Rayna!" I heard and looked up, seeing my sister running towards me, holding the front of her dress up so she wouldn't trip.

"Yes?" I asked when she finally reached me.

"I wanted to talk to you, I have a break from my science lesson." She told me with a small smile.

"What do you wanted to talk about?" I wrapped my arm around hers as we continued to walk together.

"You know all of princes right?" She asked.

"I know of them. If I personally knew them, this would be a much easier decision." I told her.

"Do you think you'll choose the prince from the Feyer line?" We paused for a moment and I unhooked my arm from hers, pondering for a moment.

"Truthfully, I'm not sure. I only know one of him coming here and who knows what might happen with the other prince. But I believe that after three months, I will know what I want out of a marriage, and know who can give it to me. When you are ready for marriage, you will find someone who shall truly love you as well." I handed her the rose, making sure not a single thorn pricked one of her slim fingers.

Upon one of them was a ring with our family jewel, a ruby. A coruscating crimson was illuminated by the sunlight, the golden band accenting the red brilliantly. It was one of the first jewels that our founders found, and ultimately the mines became the most important part of our family, since it was what let us strive and expand our land.

Something your mother taught you was to not be selfish, and to marry just for yourself is as selfish as can be, my bitter subconscious nipped at my heart, the thought of disappointing my country, my parents, my own sister was a bit too much to handle.

"When are the princes coming?" She asked curiously.

"Tomorrow in the afternoon, we shall be having a fancy masquerade party for their arrival, so make sure Cindy picks out the best dress you own." I told her and she nodded. Alita was still sixteen, she had three more years until she has to worry about these types of things. For now, I can at least put her mind at ease about it by pretending it wasn't a big deal.

~~~

"This is such a big deal! Does this dress even match my mask?" I asked Cindy with a frown, she hesitated and I groaned. "Do I switch the mask or the dress?"

"Princess Rayna, please calm down. It's not like you need a mask in the first place. I mean what is the point of a masquerade party when you can tell the difference by the colors of their hair?" She began to mutter incoherent things about the party while I stared at myself in the mirror.