Chapter 11 : The Festival

"This will be quick, and absolutely no touching." I warned the prince as we walked the halls. I had changed into baby-blue babydoll dress and a pair of white flats for the date, suddenly wishing I could use something to cover any exposed skin. Perhaps a potato sack, it seemed appropriate while spending time with him.

Meanwhile, he wore a tight and sleeveless black turtleneck with checkered gray pants. A silver chain glittered around his neck every time it caught light, matching the band of his Cartier watch that had a square face.

"Does that apply to the both of us?" He teased and I turned to face him with a glare.

"You came onto me last time." I reminded him.

"Then you pulled me back." He used his finger to toy with the fabric on my chest, attempting to lower it so he could see what he saw as a prize on my chest. I did not have an argument, because I had taken part in it as much as he did. So I simply slapped his hand away with a hard stare before looking away again, continuing down the hall with him trailing me.

"So what are we to do, there was nothing scheduled in Cindy's tablet." I raised a cautious brow at him.

"Why are you asking me?" He crossed his arms over his chest.

"As a gentlemen, you should be taking me somewhere." I informed him like he should have already known.

"Rayna it is the 21st century, I believe I deserve to be asked out every once in a while." He continued to joke, I should have known this would not be easy with him.

"Can you act like you remember why you are in Dragran in the first place? You are supposed to try and court me."

"Court? I said the 21st century, not the 18th." 

"Do not mock me for having a proper tongue, I'm sure it is something you envy." The sentence made him roll his eyes, you could believe they would get stuck with how often he did it.

"Let's face it, you're not going to choose me to marry me after your birthday. Why are we-"

"That is not true." There it was, that dreaded assumption of who I will be spending the rest of my life with. The eyes staring back at me read confusion with a hint of disbelief. "Perhaps we will have to unite with Hinyst for our own good. I am willing to set aside my personal wants for the better of this place."

"You are willing to put up with me for the rest of your life, just so you don't seem selfish?" He asked, making sure he was taking in this information correctly.

"Not for the rest of my life." He stared me, questioning what I was saying. "If someone hired a hitman to take you out, then I would be free." 

There was a bark of a laugh from this, it seemed genuine.

"So she can make a joke, that is a surprise." Despite the tease, I can tell I had tickled him just a little.

"I won't wear black to your funeral, you do not deserve the respect."

"Is that your marriage proposal? I need to see a ring, you know." I pursed my lips, not wanting to give him the satisfaction of a chuckle.

"In your dreams, Alarik." The conversation felt light and casual, not what I had expected from our previous encounters. I have been expecting high emotions and loud voices, it was what he constantly prodded for.

"How about another trip outside the castle?" He recommended.

"Angelo saw me last time, I cannot risk getting caught again." Something about the mention of Angelo's name made him snort, I made a mental note of it but refrained from asking. I remembered them talking that one night I could not fall asleep, would it be out of place for me to ask the core of their discussion?