𝑨 𝑩𝑹𝑶𝑲𝑬𝑵 𝑷𝑹𝑶𝑴𝑰𝑺𝑬

☁︎

He stayed silent. I wish i could tell you what he was thinking, but i didn't know. I hoped at that moment he would get a flashback of it all...just like in the movies. And suddenly he would realize it all again. But life is a movie....but it's just a sad one.

Neo said nothing as he waited, and hoped for Vincent to speak, to say something, anything.

I knew he was probably pinching the bridge of his nose, slowly losing his patience. I knew he was not going to say anything, even if i sit here for an hour, he won't say a word; so i had to say something, even though i was the one who needed to hear him. I had to say something.

"Do you remember the promise you made me, Vincent." Neo asked, his voice faint, almost a whisper. He held the phone tightly, afraid to let it go as if it would disappear.

I wanted....no, i needed him to remember. I needed him to know that no matter what, he will always have to keep that promise.

Vincent sighed, his breath was heard through the phone, "Neo," he spoke, his voice as cold as ice "Why are you asking me this?" He asked in an irritated tone.

Why....why am i asking you this? Well, couldn't you tell? Couldn't you realize, Vincent...i need you again. But i will never say it out loud, because you're gone. Why would you ask in such a way? Doesn't that promise mean something to you....it did...right?

Neo closed his eyes, letting a long silent breath out.

The truth was...i just wanted to make sure you remembered.

"I just wanted to make sure you remembered..." Neo whispered, he was fighting the shaky voice that almost left his throat. He didn't want to seem weak, mainly because there was no point, even if he was crying his heart out, would Vincent help?

I wanted to ask him yet another question. But sadly...i knew the answer. But the problem was, i still had hope, that one damn flicker...

Neo built up all the courage he had, and asked the one question he still had hope in, "Can i ask you another question?" He said in a faint voice.

Vincent stayed silent, not bothering to say a thing.

Are you keeping quiet because you know no matter what you say I'll ask it anyway? Or are you just so done that you can't even say a simple word as a 'yes'?

"What if..." Neo found it hard to speak. But what did he have to lose by asking it....nothing at all, he took a deep breath "What if one day i would ask you, to listen," He felt tears form in his eyes, he refused to open them knowing they would fall "Just like you promised...would you?"

Would you?

Silence. That was all.

Neo clenched the phone tighter in his hand. He finally opened his eyes, the tears immediately falling. His brown eyes were full of nothing.

Say something...

Don't you understand? I need you. I needed you. Why...just this once, Why just this once can't you put it all aside and remember. Remember who we used to be?