Chapter 11- Time at Royal Library

Start from the beginning

The chosen place was a table that was laid on the far east of the building, a little away from the windows but with still enough light for good reading. The books placed there were dusty, which meant not many people came to that side. In the end, the perfect choice.

"Why do you, miss Lucreatia want to come to the royal library?" Asked Wolff as he sat next to Cedric, who himself sat across me.

"I need to find Lady Louise." I told them as my eyes surveyed the bookshelves around us. All of them had big volumes with old and hardcovers.

"Who is this Lady Louise?" Asked Cedric puzzled,  glancing at Wolff for answers, who instead shrugged his shoulders.

"She is the future wife of that fool Joshua. Well, forget that... I didn't ask your presence for that. My reason for having you guys here is because I want to learn more about alchemy, but it's hard to study without help." I said now concentrated on Cedric and his piercing eyes.

"Why are you interested in alchemy, Lulu?" He asked after a moment of silent deliberation.

"Because I am curious." It was not a lie, but not the complete truth, so I decided to keep it simple and leave it off with just a smile.

I did feel he was not completely sure of my answer, nevertheless, he accepted and started to pull a paper and a pen to write his vision for my studies plan. While he prepared it with Wolff, I went to find a library attendant. Scribe, as they called them here.

A good thing about the Royal Library was that everyone was free to use it, as long as the person belonged to the high society. However, many of those allowed in already had their own private book collections, so the majority of those who came by, did it for specific studies or, like me, sook to find a member of a noble family.

Because it was here that they kept the family registrations of all the noble families or of people important to the Empire.

And as such, the scribe I found to help me, didn't find odd my request or even question it. They were also known to be quite unpreoccupied with what others did as long as it didn't affect the silent atmosphere of the library. Or their own studies.

The problem I had was another. Unfortunately, the amount of information I had of Lady Louise, was practically zero, not much was said about her in the book and what was indeed said came from the main character's perspective, her daughter. This meant that I would have tons and tons of books to review. Since the empire was vast and prosperous, it brought forth lots of nobles.

Dispirited with all the work in front of me and the little time I had to do it, I returned to the desk where the two troublemakers were discussing how to go with my alchemy studies.

Even though they discussed it too quietly for me to understand what they were saying, I was sure it was a fiery discussion.

When I reached my place with the four books the scribe had given me to start my search with, the boys stopped and looked curiously at them. I just put them beside me as I sat, not having the energy to retell my sad fate. The table, hard and worn, was big enough for a large group and a lot of books, the chairs, of the same material, were uncomfortable, making me sit stiffly.

Seeing the paper in front of Cedric full of words, it was my turn to be curious at what the boys had decided for me. The moon prince then started.

"Alchemy is an art that involves a lot of study and effort. And I would say that without a master it is impossible to move further or to completely master it. I don't have such expertise, but I can go through with you what I have learned with my uncle, the Lord of the Tower. Though even the beginning of this subject requires several sessions of study." His hands were on the table, at the top of the written paper and beside the pen.

"Problem is to find a reason to come here several times. It was already hard to have the Duke accept this time..." I started in a low voice. That drama queen would do a gigantic ruckus if I only mentioned coming here frequently. Imagine if indeed I came by. 

"Maybe I can help with that?" The voice, so unexpected and out of place, made me turn in a quick movement.

And as I turned, I am graced with those mischievous golden eyes.

Not you again!

So what did you think of the chapter? 

Alchemy will turn important in the story and I hope you like this inclusion! And also it brings a group study!!

But we reached 25k!! Thank you all for the support! Here I am, hoping for bigger milestones with you reader!! <3

One thing... I think some people didn't get the warning that the last chapter was available (ACT II chapter 10- yes they have numbers now!). In case you are unsure, be free to check the last chapter or ask here. :)

-----//-------

Some suggestions while you wait for the next chapter:

My blog: http://andreasousa.com

My podcast (has the blog chapters): A writer's journey (on Spotify)

Do you like that I give suggestions? I always feel this space is to connect with my readers and let them know about other things that they may enjoy... I hope is not too much XD

---//----------------------

In case you like my stories and would like to support me, now you can buy me a coffee!

https://www.buymeacoffee.com/andreascribe

Thanks!!!